Monday, December 20, 2004

"You know the baby's healthy when you're feeling sick."
"So the baby wasn't healthy the past three days when I was feeling fine?"
I met this woman at the holiday party on Saturday night. She pretty much did everything I despise when it comes to a stranger learning that I'm preggo. Listen up lady, just because things went a certain way for you doesn't mean that that's the way it has always been since the beginning of time and every woman yet to come will feel and react precisely the same as you did. I finally got condescending with her, patted her on the shoulder, and snottily said, "Everybody is different. Just because you were sick everyday doesn't mean that I'm going to suddenly stop being sick only sporadically instead." And then I left the room.

There was a brand new mom at that same party (husband had the one month old in a Baby Bjorn and everything!) and she was as exact an opposite as Expert!Mom as you could find. She was relaxed, understood that the way things went for her isn't the universal norm, gave actually useful advice, was nice. I know it all comes down to personality types but I just had a low tolerance for crap that night. Because it was a sick day for me that day. I felt like shit all day but still went to the party.

Of course at the holiday party the night before I felt awesome. My stamina is already severly reduced (I think that's what was killing me with choir this season) but I still danced my ass off! The only part that sucked was the drunk college girls. But they always suck, pregnant or not. I just tried to stay out of reach of their flailing arms clutching lit cigarettes. Being at a party and not smoking was really hard for me last weekend but I totally didn't miss it this weekend. Hopefully this means I'll be able to keep up the quitting after the baby, like Mr. b's aunt. And not go back to smoking right away afterwards like his mom.

No comments: