Friday, December 17, 2004

Holy crap these prenatal vitamins are huge! Thank god I've never had trouble taking pills or I'd be so screwed.

My best friend from high school called me last night after hearing of my gravid nature. It was so good to hear her voice. I had been wondering about her since we're twinned in so many aspects like our names, star signs, wedding anniversaries. Turns out she started worrying, too, when she learned I was knocked up! She really set my mind at ease over two of the post-pregnancy decisions I had some concerns over. I don't believe in organized religion and never know how to answer the question for my own damn self when someone asks my spiritual beliefs. So how do you raise a child? My intellectual answer has been to simply expose the child, on a regular weekly basis (say...Sunday morning?), to aspects of all the world religions, dead and current, mythologies and fairy tales. These fables teach the morals that Sunday School and sermons give you without having the burden of so much false dogma to wade through. Talking through this with her made me realise that not only is this plan doable, it really is the only kind and logical thing to do for a sentient being. The other decision I've been apprehensive about relates to religion: the question of baptism. I was resigned to the fact that Junior would have to be baptized just to appease the moms. (Thanks to AA, both dads are much more naturalistic in their beliefs as they grow older.) But I truly dislike going through ceremonies that I don't believe in. The empty gesture seems disrespectful--to the believers and their gods. Thankfully she reminded me of her mother's status of minister in a mostly disorganized religion. I can look forward now to customizing a lovely naming ceremony where Mr. b and I introduce our child to life, the universe, and everything. I just shuddered at the notion of someone saddling my flesh and blood with original sin when I think it's a load of hooey. This way it can be an amalgamation of belief systems, rather like our wedding.

No comments: