Monday, March 14, 2005

I met with a friend this weekend who is about 5 or so weeks behind me in her first pregnancy. We hadn't seen each other in a very long time so it was great to catch up. But it was also great to talk to someone that was actually, currently pregnant. As helpful as getting advice is, I have to wonder how much of it is retro-vision since now those women have the end product to deal with. (Excepting Auntie G, who knows me too well to ever give me the rose colored glasses version, and thinga, who's in the middle of Number 2 so she'd have to try to convince herself of any bullshit, too.) My friend thought it was great to be able to talk to someone who she knew wouldn't get sick of the topic. I know I'm always wondering just how much people actually care and how much they're just being polite. It's a tough line to straddle.

It was also nice to be with someone who just accepted the frequent pee breaks because she was taking them, too. And the tiny stomach thing. We both ate dinner at a ridiculously slow pace and both were full with half our plates left. No excuses needed.

And to answer Diablo's question, yes my hair is growing crazy fast. I didn't know it was because of the prenatal vitamins though. My stylist at my last haircut said it was just regular ol' hormones. And she also warned me about the chemo patient level of hair shedding after you give birth. Thankfully I had previously been enlightened. I haven't really noticed a severe drop-off in my regular shedding yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Skip the yoga. Think Tai Chi. Get Mr. b to participate!

Anonymous said...

Hey, this isn't really about your current post, but about your site in general... it's great! My friend had me reading Diablo's site until it stopped and she read about this one in the City Pages and told me to check it out. It is especially interesting because I'm pregnant too! In fact, I'm about 19 1/2 weeks right now. My due date was originally July 30th, but after an ultrasound at 12 weeks, they changed it to Aug. 7th. I have my "big" ultrasound this Friday and am so excited to see "Teeny" swimming around in there! I just can't believe how much we have in common, it's kinda strange. I've been with my dude 10 years, married for almost 2. I'm 27 right now. It's our first baby and I feel or have felt almost everything you have described in your site! Seriously, everything from the bloody snot everyday when I blow my nose (gross) to the "am I showing?!" eagerness, but not, you know, the money worries (still there), the yoga video, the faintness in the first trimester (my big spell was in the shower, I was scared to death), the maternity clothes shopping nightmares, the girlscout cookies (I can't get enough of those damn thin mints!) and more. It's just so great having someone at the same place as me with basically the same mindset and I'll definitely keep reading so keep it up! Thanks!