Thursday, March 24, 2005

I just had my first baby shower! I was totally surprised. I thought I was just meeting some of the choir ladies for lunch. After all, some of us sopranos promised each other we would stay in touch during the off season this time. But when I got there they had presents! And cupcakes! I now have a cute little teddy bear rattle, blue jammies, and blue blankie, plus a nice baby photo album with a quilted Bug on the cover (Otto Rodriguez, our Jetta, will be glad we're keepin' it in the VW family). Mr. b will be most excited about that one I think. Every time we're in Target these days he asks about getting a scrapbook. I guess we'll put the ultrasound photos and the test results in it for now.

I find that as I'm getting further and further along and closer to the reality of having a child, I'm having a more difficult time thinking of myself as a mom. I was looking in my closet last night, trying to make room for the maternity shirts that have made it into rotation. I was overcome by a strong urge to get rid of everything pre-pregnancy. It was like I was telling myself that moms aren't supposed to dress like that. Which of course is bullshit. Every time Mr. b worries that he doesn't look like a dad I remind him that "dads look like all kinds of things." Apparently I need to remind myself that moms do, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If MasterB is not yet born, how can he get in the shower! ;-P