Tuesday, March 22, 2005

I finally rode my exercise bike again last night. (While watching 24; is Dina really dead? NOOO!!!) I was particularly lazy last week and got out of the habit of riding while watching my TV addictions. (Gonna watch American Idol anyway, might as well do something productive during it.) I feel so much better when I'm active. I don't just mean when I'm preggasaurus either. In general. I need to obey Olivia Newton John and get physical.

I have kind of been viewing this whole pregnancy thing as marathon training. Last summer I sort of kind of did regular sit-ups to help prepare my abs for the since-I-was-planning-to-go-off-the-pill-soon inevitability. Getting my bike stolen last July did nothing to help me continue riding to work but I still went on regular walks. I figured that if I was going to take a stab at "getting in to shape", pre-knocking up was the time to do it. Physical fitness helps make your pregnancy easier, helps make the birth easier, helps make your post partum recovery easier. It seems that most women think that they have to make the big push to firm up and trim down before they get married. Why? He obviously already loves you. You're just being vain. And besides, those women are probably the same ones that apply massive import to still fitting into their wedding dress years later. Wouldn't you have worse odds of it fitting if you were abnormally thin at the time?

So even though I could have done better gym-related prep, now I need to keep up whatever activity I can while currently gravid. I find that I'm already incorporating the best (for me) prenatal yoga moves into my regular personal dance/karate/yoga discipline. Riding a stationary bike is something I can do no matter how big my stomach gets. I don't have to worry about balance but I still get some aerobic action. And thank god spring is finally starting to show itself so I can go for more walks.

No comments: