Thursday, January 06, 2005

I'm starting to fret about the money stuff. Not the cost of caring for the baby itself. I'm going to try breast feeding (worked for Mom and Sis so chances are good). Auntie G is already planning an elaborate baby shower. And we've been promised a lot of high dollar items (crib, car seat, etc.) that'll make their way to us in the regular hand-me-down rounds. What I'm worried about is the big money stuff. How will we pay for regular living expenses while I'm on maternity leave? Sure I have a few weeks paid, and some paid at 60%, but it's not going to be enough time. And what about daycare? Sure Mr. b wants to be a stay-at-home dad (he prefers the job title Home Manager) but I don't make enough for that yet. But if we have twins, I guarantee daycare would cost more than one of our checks. I can be flexible with my hours at work and so can Mr. b but I don't think we can quite cover each other. And would we want to? We would never see each other if we worked opposite shifts.

I remember Mom telling me about a money decision she had to make when she was pregnant with me. She lost a molar crown and her contact lens prescription changed radically. They could only afford to fix one item. She has worn glasses ever since. I suspected I was knocked up back at Thanksgiving when I was faced with a similar dilemma. My engagement ring had broken in the late summer and I had just gotten it back. It seemed "off". I lost one of the decorative diamonds during dinner and cried and then found it. But it'll cost a lot to fix the ring this time because the jeweler that "fixed" it last time used such a harsh cleanser that all the stone settings are loose now. Way to treat an antique you supposed professionals. The ring will be staying in my bedside table drawer however. Because at the same time Tron got very sick. Obviously taking him to the vet and paying for all the tests and medications and special foods was going to take precedence. And now Tron is mostly better! He's still tiny, and seems to have an eye infection, but he's lively and fancy. I don't know. Maybe it wasn't really a parallel to my mom's choice. Maybe it was a test to show that we really are ready to be parents since we did what it takes for our kitten. But who wouldn't do what it takes?!

In the meantime, someone on this floor is eating salami. It smells so good. And now I want some really bad.

No comments: