Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Week 26

Well, Child Person is definitely back from his little vacation. He's been rather quiet the past few days. I felt very slight movement, but only enough to keep me from starting to worry. I did remind myself that humans go through lazy periods. I know I certainly like to have phases where I don't do much more than eat and watch TV or read. But today, he's back in action and moving about a whole helluva lot.

It's amazing how quickly I've gotten used to the fetal movement. It was one of the things that freaked me out most when I thought about being pregnant. As an abstract concept, I just didn't know how I would fare with all this alien activity in my abdomen. And now it's weirder to not have it going on.

I definitely understand how lack of fetal movement is the main contributor to post-partum depression. Or at least it seems to be anecdotally. (Ladies have been very frank with me when I ask my pregnancy questions. And I seem to do better with primary sources than secondary ones like preggo-lit. Must be leftover archaeologist mentality.) A co-worker and Auntie G have both mentioned that the sadness came from physically not being pregnant anymore. I had always assumed it would be entirely hormonal but that kind of a psychological aspect makes a lot of sense to me already. You were entirely and completely responsible for growing a human and suddenly that is taken away. It's got to be quite the shock to the system.

I'm planning on being incredibly insane after giving birth. It just seems safer to assume the worst. Especially since I know how my emotional half likes to take over completely when given the chance. Ah the joys of being a Gemini.

No comments: