Tuesday, February 08, 2005

I've sort of been making it my mission to tell other ladies about the desertion of friends thing. I had conducted a little survey of friends and co-workers to find out if they too had been abandoned by any friends. Sadly, 90% of them had. I find that appalling. We're supposed to band together sisters! Fight the power and whatnot. But as soon as someone gets knocked up and you're not ready to face your own life decisions, you turn and run? Pathetic. For instance, Auntie G was an extremely socially active chick, going out almost every night. She told me that when she got pregnant her phone stopped ringing. In fact, out of all her no-kids friends, Mr. b and I were two of three that didn't treat her differently. That is just wrong. So I've been warning the women I know that are considering trying for kids in the next year or two. Just so they have a heads up. Because I sure wish I had known about that little side-effect. Not that it wouldn't have made it feel like less of a betrayal, but at least I would have been prepared for it. But Mr. b is right, new friendships and renewals of older friendships will take their places. And that is already happening.

No comments: