Monday, February 02, 2009

So Emotional, Baby

Kirk has been highly emotional of late. He’s going through some definite fine-tuning development or something. It’s both fascinating to watch and extremely frustrating. He’s having a lot of difficulty with his father leaving. Mr. b is in school and has class 3 nights a week plus band obligations so obviously leaving is a common occurrence. Kirk really freaks out and literally refuses to let him go. However, if his daddy is already gone then it’s no big deal to not have him there. So if Mr. b is already at work by the time we get up in the morning then it’s just funny, “My daddy took the bus when it was still nigh-nighs? That’s so weird! My daddy is a weirdo.”

He’s becoming desperately possessive of his current precious toys. This morning we wouldn’t let him bring his sonic screwdriver (Star Wars and Indy 4 light-up cereal spoons) to daycare. He’s already lost 3 of the 4 we had and we just wanted to keep this last one safe. But he freaked out and threw a major fit, hitting his dad repeatedly and screaming the whole way. Of course then he was remorseful and didn’t want us to leave for work once we got there.

Kirk is also becoming chickenshit. He psyches himself out of situations that he’s never had a problem with before. The last time we were at the fancy indoor playground he got himself stuck at the top like a cat in a tree. He had to have some kind pre-teen help him down. We went to Burger King last week and Kirk refused to climb in the playland area at all, even with his dad going in there with him. Yet when we put our collective foot down this weekend and wouldn’t let him get away with not even trying what we were having for lunch, he ended up eating tons of what he was sticking his nose up at. So it’s physical fears more than other kinds? I’m not sure. He’s beginning to see things in the dark, which I know is a common developmental milestone for this age. Same with occasional nightmares and bad dreams.

And yet while all this is going on Kirk’s become incredibly sweet regarding his imminent baby sister. He’s extremely possessive of her, constantly asking, “That’s my baby, right Mama?” He will pet my stomach, kiss it, talk to it, “tickle” it. He worries that a random freckle is an owie on his sister. He plans out all the things he’s going to teach her. He was really upset when he learned that he’d have to stay with Auntie when I go to the hospital and only calmed down when I reassured him he’d then get to come, too, to meet her after she’s born. “Having a baby out of your tummy is a lot of hard work Mama.” I don’t know where he got that from but he’s not wrong!

6 comments:

Adoresixtyfour said...

From now on, I will be referring to what little sleep I get as "nigh-nigh." Thank you, Captain Kirk.

Katie said...

I had to laugh, but geesh, I know how frustrating those WTF changes can be! It's so cute how he's already doting on his little sister. Such a sweet kid!

Anonymous said...

It could settle down when the baby comes. I was about his age when my sister was born and had started having bad nightmares and being clingy, but it stopped the instant she was brough home from the hospital. My nephew was the same before his sister was born.

belsum said...

I'm sure he's happy to expand your vocabulary, A64!

It's soooo WTF, Kate but at least I know it won't (shouldn't?) last.

Ooh interesting, Vix. I like the idea that it's a combo of age and impending new sibling.

Mummy Grabill said...

I'm with Vix, I think it's a combo of age/new sibling. Perhaps subconsciously he realizes it's kind of his final days of being "the baby" - and while he's really excited about his new sister, his psyche is doing what it can to milk out all the "baby" feelings he still has. What a cutie, though . . . I just LOVE the part about how it's "his" baby and how having a baby is hard work . . . smart kid! :-)

belsum said...

The more I think about it, the more I think you guys are right on the money, Mum. But hey, I've been expecting a reversion from him so I guess this is it. And it's manifesting the side benefit of forcing Kirk to start dressing himself: I refuse to put a pull-up on him if it's not for sleeping. So if he wants to wear one instead of underwear? He's got to do it himself. And he totally is!!