Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hindsight?

So. Kirk needs glasses.

This morning I took Kirk in to the eye doctor. Doc had suggested that we go have him checked out, oh, about a year ago and it finally happened. He was such a good boy. He was really kind of freaked out about it but brought with his little felt kitty puppet he made at daycare a while back because it was loosing its eye and needed to see the eye doctor, too. The nurse ran him through a bunch of tests. Instead of a regular chart he got to identify pictures of things like a hand, a bird, a tractor, and a cake. He was having fun and she was absolutely awesome with him. Then came the “magic raindrops”. He did not like those. I didn’t realize they were going to dilate his pupils so the entire appointment took about three times longer than I was mentally prepared for.

After playing in the lobby for a half hour we went back in. Kirk was complaining about how his eyes were “weird” and I assured him they would go back to normal. I’ve only had my eyes dilated once but yeah, it was weird all right. It’s sort of funny to see a kid with giant acid-trip pupils! The nurse checked out his eyes with a series of lenses and then eventually the doctor himself came in. Kirk was fabulous. He was so calm and well behaved while the doctor used all his lights and lenses and various other doodads and “doctor tools”. I was unbelievably proud of my son.

And then I got the verdict: he’s farsighted. He’s got a common little kid thing called strabismus that usually develops around age 2 or 3 and doesn’t necessarily have to be genetic. In fact, one of the factors is low birth weight. Well, he certainly had that. The doctor didn’t think that the plagiocephaly, or flattened skull, had anything to do with its development. The problem is, if the glasses don’t help to strengthen his weaker right eye, then he’ll have to have an eye patch. Great. But at least now we know. It explains why the one eye sometimes seemed to be turned inward, but not always.



Tonight we’re going to get Kirk’s glasses prescription filled. This is all brand new territory for both Mr. b and I. Neither of us have ever had anything other than perfect vision. But we’ll become experts fast enough since it sounds more likely that Kirk will need lenses for life, rather than eventually grow out of it. It could happen but it would be years from now. So we’re going to make sure he knows how special he is. Good thing he’s already a big Doctor Who fan – he’s going to get his very own brainy specs! I’m sure we’ll see kids in cartoons wearing glasses everywhere once he’s got them but at the moment only Clark Kent is coming to mind. Mr. b asked Kirk’s godfather to come by wearing his own glasses and taunt us for not being cool enough to get to wear them. I also suggested we let Kirk pick out someplace for us to go to dinner tonight to celebrate picking out his new frames. I’m assuming that’ll mean either the Taco Rice Restaurant or the Spaghetti Restaurant. (Which is a win for Preggo Mommy as well!) And then we’ll have a new thing to fight about when we have to make sure that he actually does wear the suckers every day, all day. Because in two months we have to go back and have a muscle check. Hopefully we won’t also need to pick out pirate role models to convince him that patches are the coolest.

8 comments:

Katie said...

What a good kid! When I was about Kirk's age I had surgery to correct my vision problem AND had to wear a patch for almost a year afterward. Mom and Dad used to draw fun things on my patch like googly eyes and flowers. That made it easier. Just an idea for you if it comes to that. I'm sure Kirk will be dashing in his new glasses - can't wait for a pic!

Mummy Grabill said...

Ooo! Don't forget about Geordie from ST:NG. And Harry Potter (if he's familiar at all with those stories). Ummm . . . I see what else I can come up with.

I like my Word Verification today: Wallop.

lap said...

Well Elvis Costello is my go to cool guy with glasses, and he has it in his favor that he wrote songs about Kirk's mom and baby sister...

It looks like my 12 yr old is nearsighted, I am taking her in sometime this week. Blurry words on the board but no headaches.. Apparently Lenscrafters has a great replacement plan/insurance for kids' glasses....

Anonymous said...

Oooh, eyepatch! I thought I scratched my cornea a few weeks ago and was actually excited about the idea of wearing one. Possibly at Opera Ball. (unfortunately it was just dead cells since apparently I sleep with one eye open. :( ) So at least he can be a pirate!

Is Rugrats a horribly dated reference? Chuckie wears glasses. He's kind of a dork, but my sister used to like him. Ooh and hey, for once Yahoo Answers (by way of google) is particularly helpful! http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081201151741AAzLKhC

I got glasses in 3rd grade and my sister got them in 1st or second. It was IMPOSSIBLE to get my sister to keep hers on, but I was no problem--she didn't have to wear them all the time, though. (which is how they managed to not travel to Disney World with us. :( )It will probably take a little while before there are lots of kids around him with glasses, but for now he gets to be unique! And have brainy specs. The only thing I would say is DO NOT GET HIM PINK AND BLUE PLASTIC SALLY JESSY RAPHAEL GLASSES. he may be happy at the time but will look back at them and cringe. Not that I have any experience with that or anything. ;)

Unknown said...

The Godfather is fully prepared to show up in his geeky glasses, showing LOADS of confidence for the little one. I will make him damn proud to wear those specs, and maybe slip him a twenty for his troubles. ;) He is a good boy, and I am certain he will embrace the coolness of prescription lenses. I had to wear them for most of my life, and it never deterred me from being fricking awesome. If I can do it, so can little Kirk!!!

Adoresixtyfour said...

LAP, I was your daughter's age when I first got glasses. Same deal: trouble reading the blackboard. I did have headaches, but not till a couple of years later--may have been personal stress rather than eye strain, though.

akg said...

Heh, I was going to suggest Harry and Geordi as well. But the Doctor is probably the way to go, especially if you can find similar frames (I love his). I got glasses for reading in 4th grade and went with clear blue plastic. Not too bad until my eyes went bad in the other direction in middle school and my parents just got new lenses.

I love that that you brought Kirk's eyeless kitty puppet along. That's some genius parenting.

belsum said...

You guys are the best!

Was the surgery traumatic for you, Kate? Great tip about the patching! Hopefully it won't come to that...

Kirk hasn't gotten into HP yet, Mum, but I'll definitely point out Geordi next time TNG is on.

Ooh, musicians, good one LAP. Exhibit A: John Lennon! Good luck with your daughter. LensCrafters is where we went and it was 50% off for kids. Nice.

I love Rugrats, mp! Chuckie cracks me up. Good one.

Michael: That is why you are the Godfather. You rule.

Heh, thanks for the puppet props, akg. I'm just glad it worked!