Monday, February 09, 2009

Preoccupied Planning

Nothing much to report after my ob appointment on Thursday morning. I gained another 2 pounds, which brings my cumulative total so far up to 10. The ultimate total will of course depend upon how early this girl arrives. I remain about 2 cm bigger than my gestational weeks. Because Kirk was so early and I told New Doc I’m expecting something similar to happen this time around, he decided to move my Strep B test up. Now I’ll be having it at my next appointment, instead of waiting for the one at 36 weeks which is a bit more typical. We also briefly discussed pain management options. I still don’t like the idea of an epidural and since I was fine with just Nubain added to my IV last time I figure we’ll simply wait and see how it goes. Birth plans are a load of hooey anyways; it’s not like the kid cares what you’re planning!

Basically all my time is now being spent freaking out about daycare and preschool. I have no idea what I’m going to do with either kid. All the places I’ve talked to so far that have both programs are way too expensive. Hell, even just preschool for Kirk is turning out to be close to twice what I’m currently paying for daycare for him. I wish we didn’t have to do dual drop-off but that’s looking increasingly unlikely. Kirk is really just plain ready for preschool but since his best friend is K’s son it’s not like he’d be upset to stay there or anything. Frankly it looks like we’re getting to the point where it *almost* makes better sense for one of us to stay home. Almost. Because even with the savings in child care we’d still need that extra couple hundred. Right now Mr. b is actually able to earn overtime, which is unheard of in the current state of the economy, so we can’t ignore that opportunity. And all our benefits are through me so I can’t be the one home either. Still researching options but my sense of optimism is dwindling fast.


  • Make eye appointment for Kirk

  • Make interview appointment for preschool for Kirk

  • Research daycare options if same location won’t also take infants

  • Talk to HR about maternity leave bureaucracy

  • Fill out and mail pre-admission form for hospital

  • Make 32, 34, and 36 week ob appointments

  • Make Kindergarten pre-screening appointment for Kirk

  • Register for baby stuff

  • Write letter to Grandma

  • Figure out SSN/Name issue with IRS

  • Research life insurance options

  • Defer student loans
  • 7 comments:

    FEZ BEAR said...

    Sounds kinda like out situation. Momma has the job with bennies and I bring home the bacon. It's a trap!

    Luckily we get free daycare from my mom & dad three days a week. Sounds like everything else is going good. Excited for you guys!

    belsum said...

    Wow. That is massively lucky indeed. I wish we had some kind of sweet arrangement that would bring us down to "merely" part-time daycare to find. *sigh*

    lap said...

    I used to have 2 separate daycare drop offs because the daycare Elizabeth was established in didn't have infant care. It could have been worse.

    superbadfriend said...

    what about hiring a nanny or child care provider/babysitter to come to your home? Is it pricey to do that? I have no idea, but in this economy, it may be a viable option.

    xoxo

    belsum said...

    The problem, LAP, is that Kirk's current daycare has infant care, but she gave away "our" spot without even telling us she was interviewing other parents. So we're got screwed out of a place for no real reason, especially when you consider that this other new baby will be starting only a month before we would.

    I am not opposed to a nanny, sbf, but they honestly are just way more expensive.

    superbadfriend said...

    oh, well that sucks. I wasn't sure what the going rate was in these times. I nannied in college and made 200 bucks in a week (7 days) and that was a fortune to me.

    and that was pretty shitty of your current daycare to do that to you considering she had 8 months to clear it with you.


    xoxo

    lap said...

    I was going to refer you to the daycare the girls used to go to in NE and then I saw their rates and was astounded. I always had childcare assistance and just managed a co-pay..how does anyone afford infant day care?

    I have a 12 yr old who could be an in-home nanny, I could give her to you..