Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Nesting

I’ve never understood the concept of nesting as an early indicator of labor readiness. I mean, isn’t the very point of being knocked up that you need to make your home welcome for the new arrival? That you’re going to have to clean and organize and just generally prepare for another human to share your space?

I have been doing some strange cleaning projects of late, however. But they’re once-every-year-or-longer things that have been bothering me for a while. I’ve been slowly wiping down all the tile on the bathroom walls. It’s never been done more than on an as-needed basis and it was driving me nuts. I took down the living room curtains and washed them last night. They were accumulating cat hair thanks to the stupid billis parting them to look out the windows. Since I was going to wash the bassinet cover anyway it seemed like a good time to do those as well.

Mr. b might be the one that’s done something more traditionally considered “nesting”. He embarked on a reorg of the basement! He claims it was merely a “good enough” cleaning but it’s amazing what a difference it has made. It always feels like there’s so much more livable space when you clear out the clutter and the dried up old stealth cat pukes that we never discovered.



I have, however, been feeling crafty. I finally completed Kirk’s requested Boppy pillow case using the remains of the Incredibles fleece he picked out around Halloween. I want to get back to the embroidery project I started a couple of months ago. And add some more to the rag rug in the kitchen. I also need to get started on the tomato hat I wanted to crochet for the girl. (Full disclosure: I bought the yarn when I was pregnant with Kirk and never made it then either so don’t hold your breath…)

2 comments:

Mummy Grabill said...

ooohh, crafty! I love the pillow case!

I'm of the same mind when it comes to the whole nesting thing. I was a Psych major in college and I remember the rats pressing the lever faster when they knew the pellet was getting closer to coming down the chute . . . duh!? :-)

I've been doing lots of cleaning and reorganizing - Daddy Grabill started making Ravioli and freezing them so we have some other recourse of food other than ordering a pizza when we are dead tired. Very yummy results I might add. :-)

belsum said...

Right! There's definitely a lot of elements to behavioral psychology that I just can't get past "common sense" as the *actual* explanation. Heh.

Mmm, ravioli...