Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Pros and Cons of Travel

Baby Kirk is just loving Texas. It's been totally hot out all week. Today it was like 80 degrees! So he doesn't have to wear a jacket. Or socks! I promised him he wouldn't have to wear a hat but I had to make him wear a sunhat at the park today. It's really cool giving him a sneak preview of summer. I mean, he won't be able to go in a swing again for a couple of months after we get back home. But he's been getting sun-tired. Which is understandable; grown-ups get tired just from fresh air, too.

Kirk is also definitely feeling the effects of not being at home. Just that general sort of weariness that travel causes. We drove to Austin yesterday to spend the night with my BIL and his family. Kirk was fine yesterday. He got to see his other cousins again (he was excited to see a little girl cousin--he likes those!) and his auntie and be fawned over and everything. But the drive back here to Conroe tonight was just too long. The last hour or so was screaming cries. I ended up crawling over to the back seat to soothe him and he eventually fell into an uneasy sleep for the rest of the drive.

It's all been good preview and practice for when we drive to Georgia for my cousin's wedding in May. Kirk will be older. And my mom with be going with us. But we already know that Kirk needs to have shorter chunks of time on the road. And nighttime driving should be avoided if at all possible. He's a good boy. It's fun traveling with him. I look forward to many more fun trips down here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're all having a good time- you deserve it!

I miss you terribly during the day, though!