Sunday, February 26, 2006

Flying Babies

Kirk did pretty good on most of the flight yesterday. The woman sitting behind us on the plane called him "a very good traveler" but she was sleeping the whole time so what does she know! There were 2 other zero year olds onboard and so the three of them took turns being the Loud Baby. Since it was an evening flight, I think most of Kirk's issues were simply due to the interruption of his normal nigh-nigh routine and extreme tiredness. We tried to keep to the regular schedule as much as possible. Mr. b even fed Kirk a jar of food and I was the high chair. But ultimately, the last third of the flight, Kirk was just overtired and letting everyone know about it. I really don't think he even noticed the turbulence. He did fall asleep in his daddy's arms for 20 minutes or so of the descent, so it could have been worse.

Then shockingly, he didn't fall asleep in the car ride from the airport to Grandma and Grandpa's place! So it was way past his bedtime. He got to bed maybe 10pm or so, finally staying asleep closer to 11pm. My MIL had smartly set up his port-a-crib so the blocked side was facing out, to try to keep him from being distracted by the world outside his bed. But my Mother-to-Baby Psychic Connection told me that part of his difficulty in falling asleep was not being able to see outside his bed in a clearly unfamiliar location. And as soon as I turned the crib around, no worries.

Until, of course, Drunk Daddy stumbled into bed at ridiculous o'clock. No surprise, Mr. b had stayed up half the night, drinking with his mom. Some things never change! But as a mother of a son, I can hardly fault them for wanting that night of drunken conversation. People are correct when they say that being a parent makes you more aware of what your own parents have gone through. But it also gives you a connection to your in-laws that is less acknowledged. I can only hope that Kirk and I have some lovely late night carousing in our distant future!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the trip went OK!

I miss you already. :)

LA said...

Congrats you a super flyer! I used to give scornful glances at folks with the wee-ones bording the plane, now I am that person with the wee-one. Ah karma.