Friday, March 31, 2006

Hear me roar?

...most women find themselves putting their hobbies--and girlfriends--aside as adults.


This quote is from Diablo Cody’s review of Rollergirls in February. I had been noticing a lack of activities and friendship in my own life lately so when I read this it really stuck with me. I guess I had assumed it was part and parcel of being a mom. You just have to put your own priorities on hold in order to care for this other person that is completely dependant upon you. And while that’s both empowering and fulfilling, it’s also draining and denies you an identity other than “Kirk’s Mom”. I’m more interesting than that dammit. But do I even know it anymore? I mean, I don’t sew anymore and my wardrobe used to be 90% my own creations. I’ve been working on the same knitting project for 6 months. I don’t even read. I’m lucky to get one book finished a month. And I used to plow through one every week or two! I don’t belong to any regular groups. Sure, I have book club, but that only meets once a month and I keep missing the meetings. They’re always perfectly legitimate excuses (everyone has the stomach flu, I’ll be in Texas, etc.) but then what? My choir is only active 3 months of the year. What about the meantime? Mr. b is off to band practice twice a week and I’m home with the boy. He always tells me I need to get out and do stuff, but what? And with whom? All my girlfriends are in the same boat as me. But why don’t we force the issue more? Not everyone has kids yet. But even my girlfriends without kids are “too busy”. I count myself lucky if I see a single person during the week that’s not part of my immediate family or a co-worker. Actually, once a week is probably too frequent. Usually it’s once a month. And when we do get together, we always tell each other the same lie, “It’ll be different when we all have kids. Then they can run around and play while we hang out.” It sounds lovely. Will it ever happen?

But then again, I’m having a good week this week. Diablo bought me lunch today (and because of that act of kindness, I’m not going to flame her for totally stealing my years-old pirate obsession!) and tomorrow I’m going over to another friend’s new pad. But 1) this is highly unusual and 2) I put together the hook up for tomorrow. Because I’m sick of hibernating. I’m sick of only having internet contact with people that live in town. I’m sick of only hearing about friends third-hand from Mr. b who heard about it from one of the boys at band practice. I may be Kirk’s Mom, but I’m also me. So now I need to find a kung fu or tai chi or yoga or belly dancing class nearby. And start taking Chinese lessons.

4 comments:

belsum said...

So take a class with me! We can find somewhere to meet in the middle. It'll force us both to go since we'll get harassed if we skip!

Anne C. said...

I'm having a similar problem with babies stealing the attention of my camping friends. Particularly the ones who are good planners.
I need organizationally-gifted friends to plan our camping trips, dammit! Otherwise I have to do it myself. :P

LA said...

Holy cow. That's EXACTLY what I'm going through right now. Is it spring fever coupled with new mommie syndrome? I swear, when people (w/out kids) ask me what's going on in my life, I have to bite my tongue so I don't start babbling on about solids, diapers, E's growth spurts and so forth - they really don't want to hear about it. There is more to me than just Esther's mom, but the truth is, everything non-baby related has taken a backseat. Reading a "real" book? HA! I often feel guilty when I do something non-baby related, but realize that I need that exact thing more than ever. Doing it up at the bar isn't really an option anymore. Belly dancing classes have been looked into. If you want to take a class with a stranger, let me know! I need the yoga and bellydancing sounds exotic and Lord knows I got the belly that dances when I walk as it is.

belsum said...

I'd love to take a class with you, la! Stranger or no. Email me (in my profile) and maybe we can figure something out.

Don't your camping friends want to take their babies with, ana? Too bad you're not closer to me, Mr. b and I can't wait to bring the boy out to the woods!

Kisses dado!