Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Heartbreakers

Kirk has been tooling around in his walker for a week now and he’s starting to get into stuff. It’s both adorable and problematic. Like on Sunday. I was trying to make a big meal (fake cannelloni, using lasagna noodles instead of pancakes) while Mr. b was out at band practice. So Kirk was waddling about all Walker, Texas Baby. Then I noticed him picking at the wall suspiciously. He had removed the nightlight from its plug and was trying to stick his fingers in the outlet! GAH! Yes, that nightlight has been moved and there is now a plug cover in its place. He’s also been picking at the loose strings on the couch where Mr. Smoe (R.I.P.) used to sharpen his claws. Which wouldn’t be so bad. Except he then tries to eat them. Sigh.

Kirk is very aware of his newfound mobility. He will deliberately walk over to where we are. And he’ll just as deliberately walk away if we’re boring or if he wants to try to get the kitty or something. (She does not like this new development.) But this also means that if he wants attention, he has a new way to demand it. Now there aren’t just tears and cries. Now he also bangs up against my legs and peers up at me with longing eyes and holds out his arms. How can I possibly resist that? How can I possibly get the dishes done?

Kirk is also experimenting with lots of new syllables. He’s stringing so many together that it often sounds like words. Of course, we hear what we want to hear, so besides the classics like Mama and Dada, he’s also always going on about Klingons, the Bluths, and various Presidents and Vice Presidents throughout history. It’ll be interesting to see how long before he starts associating these sounds with people and things. We’re trying to do sign language with him, but we’re lazy.

2 comments:

Anne C. said...

Awww. Kirk is such a cutie. I can so imagine the longing eyes and upstretched arms, 'cause it reminds me of my cats and thier stretching up my leg and sad mews of "pet me!" Of course, it's easier to just pet them for a moment and move on.

LA said...

I demand a photo of this "walker" contraption.