Thursday, February 16, 2006

Babies!

Man. I know I'm in the life phase where everyone reproduces, but they're seriously doing it all at once! I have 2 friends due later this year and at least 4 friends in various states of actively trying to get knocked up. Then the other week my best work friend and I busted another co-worker at being pregnant (with her third! and she's 6 years younger than me!). We had been suspicious for a while due to her increasing mental flightiness and extreme exhaustion. But the capper was when we were all out to lunch and she mentioned how her favorite foods just don't taste very good to her any more. Yeah. But we're the only ones here that know. It's so much fun. I love preggo secrets. Now I know why a different co-worker was so giddy when I let her in on my own preggo secret before telling the rest of the office. It's just a great little club to be a part of. Who knew? I don't get off on other traditionally girly stuff. But I have found that I love reproduction stories.

My friend had her future little drummer boy last week. And all I wanted to do was find out about the labor and delivery! I mean, yeah, the little man is adorable and I can't wait to meet him and hug his mommy and daddy. But I was just bursting with curiousity about the birth. On the surface it was pretty much the same as mine: they got to the hospital about the same time, delivered at about the same time. But afterwards, oh that's where it differed. Because she not only hemorrhaged, she also had extreme pre-eclampsia and a fever spike of 102. She was the wow-this-never-happens example for the staff. You don't want that. The dad and baby were ushered out of the room for a couple of hours. How scary is that shit?! But everyone is doing fine now, home safely and everything is normal.

Another exception to the standard preggo rule is Tom's wife. I'm sure he'll blog about it fully but the short version is, his wife is having the baby tomorrow. She's been in the hospital for over a week because she started leaking amniotic fluid at 32 weeks! That's no good. But she's fine, the boy is fine, Tom is fine. They just had to wait while the boy did some double fast final lung development before they induce and he is allowed to come out. So Kirk's preemie clothes are going to get another use! I had thought it was very odd when my SIL returned them all to me after cousin Lukas grew out of them. Who returns borrowed baby clothes? But I guess it was meant to be! I plan to offer them our first carseat, too. Knowing the hassle we went through to find one that passed the tests and was small enough for Kirk, I'm betting the one they have already will be too big.

2 comments:

FEZ BEAR said...

It's baby fever in our world too. Almost all our friends are knocked up or trying feverishly. Weird.

Anonymous said...

"Trying feverishly" made me laugh out loud.

Aww, babies are cool. I'm glad your leaky friend is doing well.