Monday, February 06, 2006

Sharing

Kirk has had a cold since late last week. He passed it on. He didn't just pass it on to me. He passed it on to his daddy and his auntie and his cousin as well. We were all just a miserable pile of snot factories dropping off the baby this morning. I imagine this is only the first of many colds instigated by the boy.

I think Kirk was over the worst of it yesterday afternoon. It was heartbreaking though. Mr. b was away at band practice and so I had no relief. Kirk was beyond crabby. It was the kind of red-faced wailing that cannot be soothed. He was inconsolable. Classic little kid snot lines covering the short distance below the nose to the mouth. Sometimes when he cries it's hilarious. This was just sad. And since there was nothing I could do, I had to just keep spooning lunch into his mouth. He'd pause to swallow and then start back up with the hating of life, the universe, and everything.

We don't have one of those handy crib wedges to slip under the sheet and elevate the baby's head. And obviously Kirk couldn't sleep flat on his back with the kind of congestion this cold has caused. So I've been propping him up on the big Boppy I bought for preggo sleeping. It had also been a wonderful nursing pillow for me and late night bottling pillow for Mr. b so I guess this is its third life. So far it seems to be helping. Kirk took a nice, solid, long nap yesterday afternoon and only woke up once last night. Of course there's still a part of me that's terrified I'm going to make him get smothered. But for as wiggly and spastic as he is while awake, he really doesn't roll around while asleep. Thrash his legs? Yes. But he doesn't turn his torso. I should really get a proper wedge anyway.

1 comment:

Anne C. said...

Awww. Poor wee man. Having just gotten over a cold, I can sympathize.