Monday, January 23, 2006

Food & Toys

We learned an important lesson this weekend: do not take valuable keepsake toys into Target. One of Mr. b's employees brought back a cute little stuffed Snowy with her from France. Kirk likes to chew on it. So we went to Target and brought it along for Kirk to play with in the car. Didn't think about it. We got to Target and brought Snowy along for Kirk to play with him in the store. Didn't think about it. Got back to the car, where's Snowy? Mr. b went running back inside and, with the help of a redshirt, managed to actually recover the missing Snowy. And he's never leaving the house again!

Kirk's food is very bland. His favorites seem to be the more exciting of the options. He loves sweet potatoes (Maybe that's the reason for my current obsession with them?) and prunes most. I just made him some broccoli and he was reasonably fine with it. I've only been making baby foods that aren't available pre-packaged. I figure that's a good way to give him more variety. So far he's not too sure about peas, which I suspect may be a texture issue, but he loved them when mixed with vanilla yogurt. In fact, just about anything mixed with vanilla yogurt is a hit. Again, I think it's because it's tangy and so is more interesting than boring ol' formula and cereal. I wonder if there are any rules against feeding a baby bell peppers? Because I could roast some and that would give him a new flavor for sure! Here's the weird thing though, Kirk doesn't like bananas. I've tried Gerber's bananas. I've tried smashing up a fresh banana. I've tried the rice cereal that's got dried banana flakes in it. He just doesn't like bananas at all. In fact, the only way I've been able to use up that cereal is by mixing it with apple sauce. But seriously, who doesn't like bananas?!

2 comments:

LA said...

That is odd that Kirk doesn't dig the monkey food. I haven't heard of a baby who didn't like the stuff.

Side note: Myspace? I don't get that whole thing. What's the deal with it? Really, please someone explain it to me. I am not down with the kids these days and it's starting to show.

belsum said...

Even stranger, when we told Doc that Kirk doesn't like bananas, she said that she doesn't either!

Yeah, MySpace is totally for the kids. I'm just jumping off the bridge because all my friends are doing it!