Monday, January 16, 2006

Clothes Horse

I did a major closet purge this weekend. I pulled everything that was way too small or just too “young” looking. Maybe I’ve been watching too much What Not to Wear, but I do not want to end up the 40-year-old who shops in the Juniors section and dresses like a teenager. That is tacky and wrong. Hell, I don’t even want to dress like a college student! My personal sense of style has mutated radically over my life, from very Deee-Lite in high school to total 90s hippie in college. But through it all, I’ve always wished for that sense of Banana Republic sophistication. I remember trying to wear pieces from The Limited when I was in junior high, and it totally not working out because they were just too old for me.

The point of it all is, I need to get rid of most of my pre-pregnancy clothes and see what I’m left with. What can I work with? I still have a bit of Xmas money left. What kind of new basics do I need? I’m not going to start wearing Mom Jeans or anything! But I do need to focus on clothes that are more age appropriate as well as careerist. I can still get pieces that are funky and hipster and fine. I want a suit! But it’s also time to stop with the constant baby Ts. I haven’t got a remotely flat stomach anymore. I can’t pull off short shirts with ultra low rise pants. That’s a fact.

I did set aside 4 shirts and 5 pairs of pants into a maybe-I-can-wear-them-again-someday box. We’ll see. I’ve started riding my stationary bike every night after Kirk goes to bed. And I’m trying to keep my eating a bit lighter than it has been. Mainly portion control and no more constant going out to eat. It’s time for me to start actively trying to get back down to pre-baby size/weight.

3 comments:

Anne C. said...

I have the same reactions to watching "What Not to Wear." I love Stacey and Clinton -- they always seem to be trying to work with the person's tastes and not change their personalities, just change how they perceive themselves. I saw the best one on Friday -- the gal who shows dogs and worked for the American Kennel Club. It was like "She's All That" without the cheesy quarterback with a heart of gold. She was frumpy and gawky and ended up looking like a supermodel.
Anyway, it always makes me want to go through my closet and donate a third of my wardrobe (it used to be 80%, so it's gotten MUCH better). So I sympathize. I would love to go shopping for new office stuff. Oop, gotta go.

Anne C. said...

Finishing up what I wanted to say... I think it's completely doable to that you dress like a sexy adult woman. I've managed to do it (admittedly with the help of my much hipper sister and a friend with a knack for bargains). Go bel!

LA said...

I TOTALLY hear you in the getting the semi-sorta-almost-close-to the bod I used to have back. It's tough to get my motivation up during the winter, but if I don't I am not going to fit into one item of clothing I had pre-baby. Lord save us all from the curse of "mom jeans"...are overalls the new "mom jeans"? If so, I am totally screwed.