Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Fe

I've been feeling sort of weak and dizzy the past day or two. And I've been continually hungry for the last couple of weeks. I eat and feel full in my stomach. But my body doesn't feel sated. I tried to explain this to Mr. b and he joked about how my "fingers are hungry." Ha ha. I think I figured it out though; I think I'm low in iron. I ran out of prenatal vitamins in mid-December and didn't even think about starting up my old iron supplements again. When my blood work was done at the start of the pregnancy, my stores were good. The prenatals and not having a period meant that my iron levels stayed up since then. I suppose it's possible that my weird weakness is psychosomatic but I'm disinclined to believe that since I had forgotten about my vitamin needs. I found my old bottle of ferrous sulfate and took one tonight. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it makes a difference.

My Plan B theory is that my metabolism is changing. My body went through a hell of a thing growing and carrying and feeding a whole other lifeform. And then continuing to feed it after we separated. I know I've heard plenty of anecdotes of women having radical metabolic shifts after having kids. If that's the case, I'll have to seriously reconsider my current grazing eating habits. No matter what, it's time for me to start some sort of regular exercise again. I hate when I feel sluggish due to lack of activity. And yet tonight? I watched Project Runway and ate chips. Yay me.

2 comments:

LA said...

Someone told me that taking prenatal vits. up to a year after giving birth (even if not breastfeeding) is good. I hope you feel up to par soon. It's easy to forget about yourself when there is a new little someone around occupying every waking thought. That metabolism thing? I think it's for real. Am hungry pretty much all of the time and can sleep like no one's business. Have to start working out or something - hard to find the motivation in the winter with all of the new TV on. Blarg.

Anonymous said...

I feel ya! Maybe it's also the lack of sunshine?? This weather is a real downer - ya just feel like eating and lazin around! Kinda like a hibernating bear or something... jmj