Thursday, October 30, 2008

Stuff

This morning Kirk left the house for daycare carrying the following items:
  • a juice cup

  • a sandwich baggie filled with cereal

  • his blue blankie

  • a plastic grocery bag filled with 8 or 9 Cars (all numbered race characters)

  • his pillow with the Incredibles pillow case

  • We did not help him carry any of these items and he was clearly overburdened with too much crap. He even stumbled up the step on K’s sidewalk when we arrived at daycare. However, the rule is You’re In Charge Of Your Own Stuff. I have my own stuff. Mr. b has his own stuff. If Kirk wants to bring anything, then he needs to be sure he brings it. We refuse to turn the car around on the mornings he’s wailing because he forgot whatever item it was he’s upset about not having. He’s in charge of his own stuff.

    3 comments:

    superbadfriend said...

    next time he will learn to squirrel everything away neatly inside the pillow case.

    I'm just sayin'.

    :)

    Emily said...

    I like this version of it. It makes a ton of sense and is so much better than indulging Kirk.
    Can you come teach some of the parents around me to be sane and normal? They need help.

    belsum said...

    Yeah, I suppose we'll have to teach him the pillow case trick, sbf. But I don't want to encourage him to bring the pillow every day!

    I'm glad to hear from a professional childcare giver that you think it sounds like a good rule, EmH!!