Monday, October 20, 2008

Potty Party

Kirk went to daycare wearing underpants today. We’ll see how that went when I pick him up.

It was a good potty training weekend. He’s been accident free all evening (post-daycare until nigh-nighs) for a week now so both Saturday and Sunday we put him in underpants as soon as he got up. Still wearing a diaper at night and during naps of course. No accidents until at the very end last night, as he was getting ready to have a bath. But Saturday afternoon he actually peed at the store. And not just any potty useage, he peed in the little shortie urinal! We were ridiculously pleased with him and since we had been contemplating getting one anyways, and they happened to be there on sale for $19.99, we bought him a floor rug with roads and crap printed on it as a prize.

There is, however, an unexpected side-effect to potty training while pregnant. My gag reflex is being activated. I am not a squeamish person. But last night I had to call Mr. b into the bathroom to transfer a giant duke from the potty chair into the toilet. Because I was ready to puke into the sink just from the shit stench. I have never had that before. So many nasty infant poos and disgusting toddler poos and hell, years of cleaning cat boxes, and I have never retched from the smell before. I guess it must be preggo nose but damn. I was queasy for like 20 minutes after that. Sure, we haven’t been changing many poopie diapers of late but this was more than just being unused to the butt wiping gig. I hope my reaction doesn’t scar the poor boy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel is eating solids now so her poos have changed dramatically of late. I was sort of shocked at how undisturbed I was by it. I am normally pretty squeamish, but I guess this is just part of the Mom gig.

Sorry you're feeling ick, though.

Mummy Grabill said...

Makes me think of my hubby's reaction when we babysat a friend's 2-year old. She had a MESS of a diaper and he practically gagged and ran out of the room while I took care of it (which no problems, I might add). We had to rinse her off in the tub eventually since it seemed like an excessive use of the wipes after a while. Is this normal!? Anyway, I'm hoping . . . no, demanding . . . that hubby get over his poo thing quickly as I will NOT be changing every dirty diaper that drops into this family when the baby arrives. :-)

lap said...

Oh that's an inconvenient case of preggo nose, but I'm sure if you explain to Kirk that it's just his poos are super-space poos not fit for the noses of humans he'd be proud of that too. Aren't boys sort of naturally proud of their stenches?

belsum said...

I definitely thinks it's one of the Mom Gig elements, lis.

Don't worry, mum, I'm betting the mister will be so enchanted by his baby's poops that he'll be very willing to change diapers, too. And if not? I'm betting your sister can take 'im. HEE!

Boys really are proud of their poops and farts, regardless of age. It's a good point, lap! :-)

FEZ BEAR said...

I think we have the same rug with the roads and crap.

Somehow we lucked out and haven't had to do all the duece trasfers from a potty chair. We got Henry one of those chairs but for some reason he didn't like using it. He sits on regular grown up toilet backwards and hangs on to the lid for extra turding power. He pioneered the technique himself.

Henry still naps and sleeps in a diaper too...

belsum said...

I'm pretty sure the universe is going to need to see a picture of Henry's patented backwards toilet seating technique. For research purposes.

Kirk's been sick for the past several days and wearing diapers instead and now I'm just afraid it's going to set him back completely.

Anne C. said...

"And if not? I'm betting your sister can take 'im. HEE!"

Thanks, bel. Thanks a lot. ;)

JR said...

I'm not pregnant, but I'm super grossed out by the poop transfer, too. It's somehow worse than changing a diaper. Anyway, Elsa won't sit on the big toilet, so I bought her one of those seats that fits over the top. When I know she has to poop, I set her on that. Ta-da, nothing to transfer! I hope you feel better soon. And by the way, congrats on baby #2!

belsum said...

I wish Kirk would use the potty ring and just poop into the regular toilet. We bought both that and the training chair, not knowing which one he'd end up using. :-(