Monday, October 27, 2008

Procrastination

Last night Mr. b asked me what I was doing. I answered truthfully, "Procrastinating." He declared that Denny Thor, procrastination, and potatoes are my three favorite things in the world and has promised that should he ever write a comic strip about me it will be titled Procrastination & Potatoes. [Inside Joke Explanation: Mr. b once drew me a picture of my "boyfriend", Denny Thor (a long haired surfer), after teasing me mercilessly that I looove hateful Denethor, Steward of Gondor and father of Boromir and Faramir, which is painfully untrue though I will admit that the actor did a fantastic job of portraying such a wretched man in the film.]


I finally bought fabric for my Halloween costume last weekend. But did I start working on it? No I did not. Instead, I made Kirk a pillow case. While at the fabric warehouse, he and his father found some adorable Incredibles flannel and Kirk asked me to cut him some. I still have about a yard left which I figure I’ll either back with some cotton for a simple small "quilt" or else maybe stuff as a teddy bear. I’ve managed to put off that unnecessary project though so at least one thing is waiting its turn.

I was bound and determined to not let my procrastinatorial nature stop me from working last night. So after two loads of laundry I was finally ready. To sort through my old maternity clothes! I pulled out everything not sleeveless or obviously warm weather and started trying stuff on. I vividly remember the weird loss of self I experienced last time from wearing clothes I never picked out on my own. I love hand-me-downs but there came a point where I couldn’t recollect my own sense of style. So I immediately pulled out the items I know I didn’t wear because I wasn’t sure if I liked them or not, as well as the stuff that is just plain too small since I’m starting off several pounds heavier than last time. I’m still wearing my regular pants though so I’ll save that session for another day. I guess that’s another vote for "girl" since carrying high is a girl indicator, right?

I really did finally get some work done on my costume. Cut out all the skirt pieces. After making Kirk’s bed and spending some time on the internets. Sheesh. I’m pathetic. But now that I’m started I really will be fine. And I mean, the deadline is coming up and that’s what procrastinators need: deadlines. The tough part will be making the bodice pattern since the pattern I’m using is missing those pieces. Since I’m already sizing the whole thing up I’d have to do math anyway so it’s less dire than it would appear.

9 comments:

Emily said...

So what are you going to be for halloween?

My costume? Girl who is just excited to see all her kids dressed up in costumes. Its great. I get to wear the same clothes I'll be wearing all day.

And woot! It's allowing me to comment, unless I just jinxed it.

lap said...

Yay for SR Harris, practically my favorite and the most dangerous place in the world for me to set foot in!

Deadlines are what drive me. I have often asked myself if I am just lazy or I love the thrill of a last ditch effort, because I am the queen of waiting until the last possible minute. Unless it's watching tv, and then it has to be as close to real time as possible.

belsum said...

Woo! It worked for you EmH! I'm going as a really obscure character from a bad episode of Star Trek, original series. It'll just look like "princess" to those not geeky enough to spot it. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

I'm all about deadlines, lap. Absolutely. I've learned time management skills at work but that has most definitely not spilled over into my personal life.

superbadfriend said...

Deadlines keep me from being social in the real world and online. :(

I am so glad you are in the costume making stage of your costume.

As far as your time management? Girl, you are the queen of getting shit done, so a little procrastination is allowed.

xoxo

lap said...

Are you going to be the Empath? If I was going to be someone from Star Trek it would so be her.

superbadfriend said...

ooohahahaha I just got confused at the Jess above. lol I was like, "hey. I didn't write this"

:D

xx

belsum said...

I think that other Jess was just a spammer so no worries, sbf! Thanks for the vote of confidence in my getting-shit-done-abilities. I suppose it looks more impressive from the outside. Though I think you have a better shot at winning that title Little Miss Always in the Studio Making Art!!

lap: I always told myself that if I was pregnant over Halloween I would do the "Friday's Child" outfit. I couldn't find fabric with copper in it so I have to use just plain black but other than that it should be pretty close. I've already decided that next year I want to make the uniform dress for the Romulan chick that falls for Spock. Let me know if you spot any red or silver houndstooth!

Adoresixtyfour said...

As much as I love Halloween--I have the day off work tomorrow and plan to spend it doing nothing but watching cheap horror films from the '40s, drinking Red Dog and eating cheese--I never got into the costume aspect of the holiday. I hated wearing them as a kid and have avoided them as an adult, other than occasionally donning a mask. (I just bought a wicked cool skull mask--with working jaw!) And living in an apartment building, I don't get trick-or-treaters to show off for anyway.

belsum said...

I invited my nieces over to trick-or-treat with us, A64. They've always lived in apartment buildings and have never really experienced it either.