Friday, July 25, 2008

My blog name is relevant again!

I didn't bother with a home test. I just went in for the official lab test because I *knew*. I mean, I knew the last time, too, but that was my first go at this whole pregnancy thing so I wanted to be sure. I hadn't ever peed on a stick before and it seemed like an important part of the process. This time it seemed like a waste of money. Even so, I started wondering if I was kidding myself. As I walked to the clinic I wondered what would happen if it was negative. Would I be upset? Would that mean that something else was wrong with me? Would all my friends make fun of me for acting so sure of the results?

I needn't have doubted my instincts though. I mean, women have been having babies for an awful long time without having to pee in a cup to find out they're knocked up. And when the doctor came into the room holding the lab results with a giant red POSITIVE stamped on it, well, I felt relieved and just a touch giddy. I'm due at the end of March - the doctor guessed maybe around March 29th - and it's still so early I can wait another month before the first ob visit.

It's interesting how much less worked up we are about this though. I mean, it's awesome and I'm excited but hey, I've done this before. I know what I'm getting myself into this time. I guess all the experienced parents out there who said you just don't care in the same way for the second pregnancy really knew what they were talking about! Mr. b and I went out for breakfast and we didn't have any worries about what sort of parents we'll be. Instead, we joked about how much easier it will be since Kirk will be nearly 4 when his second officer is born! That poor kid is going to be put to work. Good thing he likes babies!

14 comments:

Anne C. said...

Hope it *is* the 29th, I'm particularly partial to that date. ;)

Congratulations to you both! No, to the three of you! Kirk will love having a sibling, I'm sure. It doesn't seem like he's been brought up to believe he's the center of the universe, so the addition to the family should go easier.

Hugs all 'round!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you guys! That's so awesome.

I don't comment often, but have been waiting to see yes or no! Congrats again.

Emily said...

Aww, congrats! That's so exciting! You were totally right!
March 29th... no other birthday's (for me) near that day. Oh, its somewhat close to my half birthday!

Anonymous said...

YAY! Congratulations. Babies are cool.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Babies are cool! And I am a potent man. Now we get to be real parents. Parents with more that one kid. If she's a girl I want her to be called Veronica. If she's a boy I probably shouldn't call her she. But my gut says girl. Still a pair of boys is good for breaking stuff, and blowing shit up.I do need co-conspirators.

I'm sure Spock is out of the question for a name.

FEZ BEAR said...

Congratulations! Maybe you can't name a boy Spock, but I say leave it on the table as a nickname.

superbadfriend said...

When will you find out? Is it too soon?

Congratulations!!! :-)

xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Yaaaaay, congrats! I can't get my TWoP login to work so I had to come here to do a happy dance for you. :)

Jill said...

Yay! Congrats!!

Adoresixtyfour said...

Woot! Congratulations!

Jon Hunt said...

CONGRATUFREAKINGLATIONS!!!

belsum said...

Wow! Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the well wishes!

Anonymous said...

Might I suggest Kor if a boy and B'Etor if a girl -- you've done starfleet!

Congrats

LA said...

Yay!!!!! Awesome news!