Friday, August 01, 2008

Preggercize

What are the cardio rules when you’re knocked up? I know that starting any new exercise program is frowned upon but that’s not what I’m doing. I’m hardly a gym bunny but I have been going fairly regularly for the past year and a half or so. Maybe two or three times a week. I’ve gone twice this week. I’m trying not to push myself. When I was on the elliptical I purposely kept my heart rate lower than I normally aim for. And I didn’t go to an aerobic group exercise class; I went to a strength training one. We didn’t do any during that session, but I don’t know what I’m allowed to do for ab work. I know it’s damaging once your uterus grows enough to start to spread your abdominals out. I’m probably fine since it’s early.

The only bad thing I’ve noticed is that the exhaustion hits me harder when I’ve been to the gym. So far I’ve been nausea-free but the tiredness comes in the early evening. I’ll be fine again by the time Kirk’s getting ready for bed. I have enough energy to work out in the middle of the day so it’s a good thing my gym’s onsite. I just go before lunch and no worries. But then I’m simply destroyed when I get home. Completely spent. So the trade-off will be trying to keep up good habits and fighting the urge to take a hundred year nap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're good. You want to keep your heart rate down and don't get over-heated (same reason to avoid hot tubs and saunas). My sister is a serious gym bunny and she was told that she could keep doing what she's doing for the time-being, too. Of course, they also told her that she should use a rectal thermometer to monitor her body temp during cardio. She's opted to just, you know, work out less. Heh.

LA said...

I have to say after enduring massive nausea this time around, I cancelled my gym membership and took a community ed class for water arobics. It met at 7am so I wasn't exhausted yet. The whole "weightless" feeling was super and I really felt like I got a workout.
It's nice your place of work has a on site gym. That's pretty swank.

belsum said...

Oh it's related to the body temp thing! Good to know. Yeah, no rectal thermometers for me, thanks. Eep!

My friend that lives in the Virgin Islands said she was banned from swimming after her 5th month, la because you don't know if your water has broken if you're, you know, in the water. I found that interesting.