Monday, June 02, 2008

Whine, Whine, Crab, and Complain

Usually I go into a black funk about once a year and usually it’s in the dead of winter. One would assume that means that it’s a seasonal thing, lack of light and warmth and whatnot. But it’s lack of friends that does it to me. And usually the dead of winter is when no one is going out. The holidays are done, everyone is broke, but we haven’t yet crossed that line where we’re all so fed up with the snow and cold that we say Fuck it and go out anyway. For some reason that didn’t really happen to me this winter. Which is odd because this was the winter that wouldn’t frickin’ end.

But I’m feeling it now. And it’s not just a lengthy separation from humans that is doing it this time. It’s a strong feeling of actual betrayal. Like I’m not worth anyone’s time and effort.

I’m expected to go to people’s events. I’m expected to care about people’s stuff. And I genuinely do care and I genuinely enjoy attending! I don’t think I’m naively overestimating my importance to my circle of friends. I know that everybody is older and busier. There are kids and pregnancies and spreading families and business trips and health issues and family drama and people have moved away and there’s career focus and fame and chores and break-ups and new loves and yardwork and home improvements and trips and surprises and real life stuff that gets in the way all the time. I love seeing how everyone has grown. I love hearing everyone’s stories, good and bad. But why am I the only one listening?

I guess it’s the concept of a two-way friendship. Who’s doing all the work? Who’s making the plans and seeing them through? Who’s putting in the effort? If it’s always in one direction, then why is it continuing? And that’s what bothers me so much this time. If it doesn’t work out, great. But that also means it’s never going to happen. Because I’m the only one that’s going to set it up or go the distance.

Is that naïve? Is that bitchy? Is that realistic? Is that pessimistic? Is that haughty? I don’t know. Maybe I’m being an elitist and setting myself apart from everyone else. Maybe I’m feeling sorry for myself and being a baby.

There’s so much talk about how the internet brings people together. And I believe that strongly. I have so many wonderful friendships that would never have been possible without email and message boards. When I was little I used to long for pen pals. The internet has certainly provided them, domestic as well as international. And the US Postal Service can likely attest to the fact that long distance sharing and gift giving has increased with those long distance relationships. But what about the local ones? What about when you stop emailing friends and expect them to just read your blog instead? What about when you won’t respond to email and communication is relegated to blog comments only? What about when it’s just easier to send a text message instead of actually showing up? What about when it’s too much trouble to change your own plans to accommodate someone that’s coming a long way? The trick with Facebook and MySpace and everything else is that we’ve all become internet friends without meaning to. We don’t actually see each other any more. Most people don’t even use the phone.

I’m certainly not excluding myself from this behavior. I’m overjoyed when I find out someone will text me back quicker than call back. It’s easier. I definitely haven’t returned the favor for people that have made the effort, whether it involves travel or a trip to the post office. I blow off parties and shows and use lack of babysitter as an excuse when I just don’t want to put in the effort. And yet I still seem to get out. Sometimes more than people than don’t have kids as their primary excuse. So what does that say about me? That I’m better than everyone else and I deserve a medal? Or that I’m more desperate and I crave the company of fellow humans and feed off companionship to function? Are they the same thing? Should I just suck it up and get over myself? Do I have an actual legitimate grudge? I am actually pretty pissed. But I’m not very good at holding grudges. It seems like a good idea until I actually see someone again. Or talk to them on the phone. Or email them. Usually email. I live for email. It’s my fault I guess. One or two close friends versus a wide circle of friends of varying closeness? I like both options. I just like having friends. And I want to know where the hell they went.

12 comments:

Anne C. said...

I wish I were one of your local friends, 'cause I would definitely have you over to chat!
I've actually had similar frustrations. I get tired of hearing the "we should get together more often!" and then nothing actually setting up a get together. It's not like these are bad friends. They just get caught up in their own things, especially if they're getting thier closeness needs filled elsewhere (significant other, family, etc.). As a single person, I see that trend more than most, since I HAVE to get out of the house to be close to people (the kitties are great, but they don't fulfill all needs).
You're probably justified in your frustration. Your best bet is to do one of two things: either take a break from being the doer (real friends will still be there when you're ready to come back) OR throw a big party (preferrably a BBQ where you only provide the sides, chips and dip and your friends bring drinks and some thing to grill -- much less work!) and use the opportunity to get people talking about doing it on a regular basis, rotating hosts.

I hope you feel better soon, and I really do wish we lived closer together!
Hugs.

Anonymous said...

We've talked about this, but to reiterate: you DO have a legitimate gripe, and I am so sorry about my part in how you're feeling.

Adoresixtyfour said...

*hugs*

superbadfriend said...

I wish we were closer in proximity as well. I have one handful of very close *local* friends and we see each other once or twice a week, if that.

If I am the guilty party who knowingly is going to be really busy or out of town, I try to make it up by making an errand running or grocery shopping date with them. That way we can kill two birds with one stone. If there is a monumental event, let's say a OH, A Birthday Party, I am going to miss, I am damn sure to make it extra special for my friend when we reconnect.

I am sorry you are feeling sad.

Hugs from the both of us.

xoxo

belsum said...

Oh ana, you have no idea how much I wish I wasn't desperately short of vacation time left for the remainder of the year. I'd be making plans to fly out for a long weekend so fast!

Regardless, it does get old, doesn't it? There are some friends that I see maybe once a year, or every two years?, and each time I hear the "Oh my gosh, we have to really do it this time!" And there's zero follow up on their end. How many times am I obligated to try to set something up before I can just smile and nod and know that it's all just talk? The sad thing about your suggestion is...that's exactly what didn't happen. My birthday party Saturday was, well supposed to be, a BBQ in our backyard with us providing the sides and they all bringing something to grill or share and, well, no one came. That's not true. Three of Mr. b's friends came (of varying degrees my friends, too, but none of them are folks I would call up on my own to see if they want to hang) and my parents. Woo.

I know, lis. I know. I just wish it weren't so.

Thanks, 64.

belsum said...

Thanks jessie. You've been such tremendous support. I can't wait until I get out to Chicago again because this time, I'll actually know you! (Once or twice a week is major in my world. Heck, I'd be happy with every-other-monthly!!)

Anne C. said...

bel, now you're making me teary and pissed at the same time. Here's one of my fiercest hugs:
((((((((((((((((HUG!))))))))))))) You are welcome to come out here any time you like! I'll also keep my eyes open for the opportunity to go up to Minn. Right now, of course, I'm all tapped out travel-wise, 'cause of the India trip.
I have no more advice, but I will be thinking of you. :)

belsum said...

No doubt you're tapped out for a while! HA!

Maybe we'll take the Captain to the Black Hills sometime and you can meet us there? That's halfway, right?

Anne C. said...

Sounds like a plan. ;)

Anonymous said...

belsum, I've said this elsewhere, but you do, definitely, have a right to complain about this. It's crap that no one came and they should feel bad. But hey, your internet friends love you! And if you were in Delaware I'd totally invite you over to hang out with my insane cat and talk about knitting and Doctor Who.

steve zahn said...

Hey I'm famous, and I can totally understand that you feel bad. I mean especially since you are not famous, but I would lay all the blame on your husband. That guy could have tried harder. What a douche bag. Still, I imagine your pathetic non-famous friends think you're awesome, not me awesome, but awesome in your own way. You might want to think of offering some sort of "appearance fee". That usually works for me.

belsum said...

Steve Zahn, you're a genius! And appearance fee is definitely the way to go. I'd better start sending out invoices.

I like insane cats and knitting and Doctor Who, monkeypants so maybe we'll have to figure something out!