Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Side-Effects

Warning: The following post contains Too Much Information. Turn back now. This is your only warning.

I’ve been off the pill for two and a half weeks now and things are weird. I haven’t been able to tell if I’m experiencing side-effects from the sudden lack of hormones in my body or if there are just a plethora of coincidences going on.

I spent most of my trip to Georgia this last weekend running to and from the bathroom. Ever since France I tend to have butt issues if I drink either too much in one sitting or just a little bit, too many days in a row. So my initial guess was that the copious amount of red wine I drank at the rehearsal dinner, coupled with the two margaritas I had the night before, was coming back to haunt me. After all, I had been awakened in the middle of the night with the worst heartburn I’ve ever had. At least since I was pregnant. And naturally I couldn’t find any antacids while quietly ransacking my aunt and uncle’s house in the dark.

But unlike previous visits from José Nus after drinking too much, this wouldn’t go away. And if it wasn’t actual diarrhea, then it was ridiculous amounts of gas. And if it wasn’t gas, then it was painful cramps. What the hell was going on? I had a mere two glasses of wine at the wedding reception, and that was spread out over the course of many hours, much not-up-to-par wedding food, and not a little bit of dancing.

My mother, evil creature that she is, suggested that perhaps I was not experiencing a hormone level adjustment. She thought it was hilarious to imply that perhaps I had already gotten knocked up. Har dee har har. Not funny. Too fast! Too fast! Maybe it’s just pre-PMS. After all, I have no idea what my cycle is like without the regulation of the pill. I believe I sped up a little last time, though a pattern is obviously not made by a mere two periods. And since intestinal issues are a semi-regular early indicator for me, maybe that’s all they’re a harbinger of?

The other strange thing that happened when I went off the pill is an inability to come. I’ve always been a believer that a woman is in charge of her own orgasm. So that’s got to be psychological, right? But why? I mean, it’s not like I haven’t been preggers before. Thankfully it’s only been twice, at the beginning of the month, and seems to have stopped since then.

I don’t know how I feel about possibly being up the spout again. Already. I mean, obviously I should be grateful to be so ridiculously fertile, especially when there are so many people that have had trouble conceiving even once. And I admit that it would be kind of fun to tell my whole extended family in one fell swoop next month at the reunion. How does due date math go? February? It would be winter for sure. Gah! I don’t want to get ahead of myself. Even though I’m really not ready. And they always say you need to wait three full months after going off the pill to clear out your system, or else you’re at increased risk for miscarriage. Which I don’t know how I’d be able to handle, not to mention Mr. b.

9 comments:

Anne C. said...

Bel, I know I can't do anything, but I'm hoping everything clears up and the timing of the preggers works out in the best (for you and the baby) way possible.

(((((((HUG!))))))

Anonymous said...

As your mother's unofficial representative in this blog, I'd like to take this opportunity to not say anything but smirk silently.

steve zahn said...

Ewww! Gross.

belsum said...

Thanks anne. (I still owe you an email I think. Oh and I got your postcard. Woo!)

>:-P lis.

You were warned, steve zahn.

superbadfriend said...

Aww darlin' I had no idea you were illin during your trip. I hope you are feeling much better now.

EEEEEEEK! Baby thoughts? Woowhooo:-)))

Chris Hill said...

If it's a boy I'm naming him Saul. After Saul motherfracking Tigh. If it's a girl I'm naming her Steve Zahn after Steve Zahn, I hope you're preggers soon. I need a cuddly baby, one that doesn't jump on my head after 10 minutes on my lap.

belsum said...

Well, sbf, it's time to get it over with.

Hunny: We're going to have to discuss these naming suggestions. Unless, of course, you want to revoke your veto of "Tristan"?

Jon Hunt said...

What's the verdict?!?!?!?!?!

It's like a suspense movie!

belsum said...

Psst, Jon. Read the next post!