Monday, January 28, 2008

Watch Your Mouth

I should have seen it coming. Kirk's been occasionally using the phrase, "Oh. My. God." for the past month or so. But last week he busted out with, "This puzzle sucks!" And while it was frackin' hilarious to hear out of a toddler's mouth...he's two. I don't know that he should be saying sucks yet. It was so hard not to laugh though! He even says it just like his grandpa; he draws out the S and ends with a percussive report of consonant so it becomes, "sssssssssuCKs". I feel like I do a good job of watching my sailor language around him. Mr. b? Not so much. But neither of us really considered these low-level pseudo-swears. I've been trying to nip this particular bud by reminding him that things are awesome or rule. He's still young enough to be distracted by bait and switch. The biggest problem is going to be "gate". As in, "That giraffe is so 'gate'." Um...yeah. Not going to correct him. But that one is 100% Mr. b. He calls things gay all the time and I just don't know that he's got it in his power to stop. Even though it's not the 80s and he's not 10.

5 comments:

FEZ BEAR said...

That sound pretty much the same as our family. I had a mild episode of road rage the other day and muttered the word peckerwood. Henry gets his compound words mixed up alot. He had just learned about woodpeckers, so he says "daddy, where peckerwood? In tree?" I always want to giggle at that stuff but the wife want us to be all responsible and what not.

LaelR said...

Cute little sponge. Really cute until they drop the effenheimer in front of family. Looking forward to that moment. Oh, and by the way - that blog was so gate.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I just dropped the f-bomb in front of my friend's kid the other night and half way through, I realized what I was saying so it kinda stretched out even longer and in slow motion.

Anonymous said...

You mean, like Ralphie in A Christmas Story, when he says, "Ooooooooh...fudge"?

belsum said...

It's so frickin' hard not to laugh! I'm glad you're feelin' my pain, fez bear. I'm trying to be responsible...

Laugh it up lael, your sweet little Celia will be taking her turn before you know it! HA!

I'm convinced that it's worse if you make a big deal of it, jess. Then again, obviously Kirk picked up sucks and "gate" just by context so clearly I don't know what I'm talking about.

Oh lordy, 64, I'm just waiting for that particular scene. It's inevitable. Mr. b is also an artist in the same way as The Old Man.