Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Pissing and Moaning

It's official. Kirk has started having temper tantrums. Thankfully they've only been at home so far and not out in public. He'll become absolutely, completely inconsolable for no apparent reason. He'll be crying and howling but without tears. And it'll be nearly impossible to shake him out of it. Particularly for me. He's also in a Daddy Phase and this one is hardcore. Sometimes we can use it to our advantage. Offer him Mommy to change his diaper or check his teethbrushing and then suddenly Daddy will be requested and the chore we'd been chasing after him to perform will magically become easy. Sometimes I wonder if it's because he spends so much more time with Mr. b than me during the week. I'm generally off to the bus stop by the time either of them are getting dressed - or even out of bed some mornings! They're home before me, too.

On the plus side, it looks like he's becoming interested in using the potty again. It had just been a fun game to play on occasion. Now he's actually beginning to request time to sit down. We bought a toilet seat insert but Kirk doesn't seem to prefer that over the potty chair. He switches back and forth between the two. He's even fine sitting on the pot with a book to look at! So I feel positive that we can finally start to actually put some focus on training. With Thanksgiving travel and Christmas and New Years with Nana and Papa it just seemed to be too chaotic to actually push him. Hell, we haven't fought the fact that he's still sleeping in his crib! The big boy bed is just a place to jump and hide and pile lightsabers.

For the New Year we joined my folks and sister and her family Up North at a time-share resort cabin in Breezy Point. We played outside as much as possible.

Papa Sledding

Kirk went ice skating for the first time ever. His skates are 4 sizes too big so I stuffed paper towels in the toes and tied them as tight around the ankles as possible. He loved it.

Ice Pirates

Kirk also adored snowmobiling with his Daddy. After going out a few times he discovered Auntie's helmet. And then he never wanted to take it off.

Safety First!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! And how funny is he in that helmet? OMG.

Jill said...

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! I LOVE the last pic! Too cute! Sorry to hear about the tantrums. Here's hoping it is one of those quick phases! I'll keep my fingers crossed that they continue to happen at home too. We've thankfully only had to leave a restaurant once due to a tantrum. I remember all too well the walk of shame as we were leaving...Ben holding our kicking and screaming child, and me, head down, speedwalking to the door. Ugh. Good luck y'all!

FEZ BEAR said...

The ice skating pic is cuter than all get out. Pretty awesome...

LA said...

Yeah, I am digging the ice skating picture. Steve and I don't ice skate (something about me breaking my wrist 2x on roller blades)but my hope is that E will somehow manage to embrace it. Kirk sure looks like he has!

belsum said...

I love the helmet, too, lis.

I remember you telling me about that tantrum after it happened, jill! Yikes. So far, so good. We even managed to go out to dinner tonight and the worst was him banging the fork on the wall hanging "art" thing.

Thank you, fez bear, skating with him was a blast.

I highly recommend the double blades, la. And there's no reason why you can't follow behind on your boots instead of wearing skates!