Sunday, January 27, 2008

Puzzling

wooden puzzles are fun

Kirk has really gotten into jigsaw puzzles the last month or two. I think it's awesome because I still love doing puzzles. For Christmas, Mr. b got him a really cool set of four wooden puzzles in their own neat and tidy box. But he didn't stop there. He also got two more wooden puzzles, these on planks so they can't be as easily put away. And then he took Kirk to the MoA and had a picture puzzle made with Kirk, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto! That one is friggin adorable. I'm not even mentioning all the hand-me-down, prize drawing won, and gift bag puzzles we've collected. Kirk loves doing them all and is really good at them. The problem, as always, is how to put things away.

Last night we played a game called Ten Things. It involved Mr. b going through the toy bin in Kirk's room and pulling out ten things that are too baby or too old or too annoying to keep in regular rotation. I then secreted them downstairs into the storage bin I've designated for toys. It made a big difference but doesn't really solve the puzzle problem. We can't just dump the puzzles into the bin; the pieces would end up strewn all over the bottom. Same goes for the ever growing collection of crayons and coloring books. I'm really not sure what we're going to end up with. I think we need a shelf system of some sort. There's just not really any room at the moment. Kirk still has both his crib and his bed set up and until he switches over to the bed, it's going to stay that way.

3 comments:

superbadfriend said...

JUMBO ZIP LOC BAGS are a miracle for puzzle pieces and other loose items.

Jill said...

We use Glad Ware. It's awesome that Kirk is a puzzle boy. Liv loves puzzles too. I was shocked the first time I walked into her room and she had one all put together with no help. Dang, kids are amazing!

belsum said...

I need those three foot tall zip locs, jessie! But Glad Ware's not a bad idea either. I totally tripped out too, Jilly the first time I came back upstairs from doing laundry and he had completed the puzzle he was just starting when I went down.