Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Boobies

I was looking through my old posts about Kirk at about the same age as Ronnie is now. The nursing ones especially. It’s truly amazing to me just how much effort I put into getting that boy to eat boobie. And I kept it up, too! There were so many setbacks, from him not latching on to not having a pump once I had to return the hospital rental. Sweet Bundle got it figured out before we even left the delivery room at the hospital!

I managed to keep up the attempt for a good four months before calling it quits. Kirk was definitely ready since he didn’t really care in the first place. Ronnie is five months and I am only just now starting to even contemplate weaning eventually, much less make plans for it. Neither of us are anywhere near ready for it. Kirk was formula fed with breast milk supplement and Ronnie is breast fed with formula supplement. Completely opposite situations. Plus, I can pump at work easily thanks to my sister passing on her Medela.

I’ve developed a pumping routine that seems to work nicely. I go twice a day and pump for 15 minutes each time. It takes about 25 minutes total because of set-up and clean-up. I tried going three times a day but it didn’t make any difference to my milk supply and was too hard to fit into my work schedule. I’ve definitely had days where a meeting gets scheduled during one of my usual pumping times, generally about 10am and 2pm, and I have fidgeted and watched the clock, waiting to get out so I could release the pressure. I guess it’s sort of like having to pee really badly. It doesn’t hurt, but it’s certainly uncomfortable. I had a programming class a few weeks ago and had to ask the guard at the building if there was a lactation room. That was an interesting experience.

The milk I pump generally gets used within a day or two at home. I was freezing it if the bag hit the one week mark but all of the frozen milk has since been used. There seems to be a sort of macho competition between women about how much milk they produce. The more and you “win”. Well, I loose apparently. I bring home about 7 ounces of milk a day, combined after two pumpings. Sometimes maybe a half ounce more and sometimes maybe a half ounce less but it’s really been pretty consistent. That’s not enough to feed the world and definitely not enough to feed chowhound Bundle at daycare so I never bothered even trying to send milk with her each morning. It’s easier to use it at home.

Now that Miss V is eating rice cereal the milk gets mixed into that and then she finishes whatever was left as a post-cereal bottle. That seems to be working for both of us as it gives me a chance to fill up again after the usual just-got-home-from-daycare feeding. Even if she just had a bottle before I picked her up, she still wants to nurse and that’s fine with me. It’s cuddling, bonding time for us. Same with co-sleeping. Veronica hasn’t really settled into a new schedule yet since the introduction of cereal into her diet. I think she’s also undergoing a pre-new-development regression, causing her to sleep fewer hours in a row at night. I remember Kirk doing that before each new trick. So I bring the girl into bed with me to sleep-nurse when she wakes up and since I fall back to sleep, she never makes it back into her crib.

I did read that Kirk got the go-ahead for apple juice, cut with water, after his four-month well-baby visit. I hadn’t even thought of that for his sister. She hasn’t had anything since the prune juice lattes of her constipated early weeks. I’m going to have to ask about that at her six-month well-baby. It seems the rules change all the time and vary from doctor to doctor. One thing at a time I guess. We’re still getting used to balancing Daddy playing with Brother while Mama feeds Sister.

14 comments:

superbadfriend said...

When does the milk dry up?

What did the guard say when you ask him about the lactation room?

This is all very interesting.

Had a coworker whose breast leaked at work. She was in a meeting when the burst. She had just come back to work after having her baby. She wasn't pumping at all, but wore a special bra with padding.

Are the mommy patrol hassling you?

belsum said...

Well, with Kirk I just switched to the regular Pill and the hormones dried me right up. I guess with Bundle I’ll have to literally wean, meaning step down gradually. Apparently your body gets the hint pretty quickly when you don’t have cues like a nursing baby on your boob to trigger milk production!

I’ve definitely been leaky at times. It was much worse when I first went back to work than it is now. I wear pads everyday, just in case. Strangely Leftie is vastly more prone to leakage than Rightie. No idea why that is. Especially since I usually get more milk out of the right side when I pump than the left.

No mommy patrol - I work with mostly dudes! HA!

belsum said...

Oh and the guard was a woman and she was fantastic. Totally went above and beyond. I should find a way to get a compliment to her supervisor somehow.

Mummy Grabill said...

Bel - it is fascinating hearing about your experience, both of them! I'm having a completely different experience. Alex is 100% breast milk fed from a bottle. I pump his entire days worth of milk. I started switching over to pumping at 1 month - I just couldn't do the nursing anymore. He was nursing okay, it was just the time commitment and feeling stressed because I could never leave him longer than 1 1/2 hr . . . so I started to pump and I liked that so much I stayed with it. It took me a while to build up a store of milk while I continued to nurse and then once I went back to work I had to use some of that store to "get in front" of his eating capacity. Once I got in front of it and could leave enough for the day when I went to work I haven't had too much trouble staying in front (with a few supplemental frozen milks). 7 oz for two pump sessions is great in my book! I usually average anywhere from 3-4 oz per pump and I pump every 2.5 to 3 hours (so usually 3 sometimes 4 times at work). Just fascinating to hear the different stories. I just love that in spite of all the "dos" and all the "don'ts" you get from everyone, all babies manage to thrive. :-)

Anne C. said...

I love that you are so open about your experiences. Have I told you lately what a fabulous gal you are? :)

belsum said...

Aww, thanks ana. I try to be as honest as possible. There’re too many unrealistic expectations out there for women anyway and I certainly don’t want to add to them!

That’s interesting, Mum. I don’t think I’ve met anyone that exclusively pumped before. Though I definitely understand your desire to hurry things up in the nursing department. I mentioned that in a couple of my old Kirk posts. That’s changed for me with Ronnie though. Now I relish the time to sit and read or watch TV or surf while she’s nursing. But maybe that’s just because it gives me guaranteed downtime, which I certainly don’t get in any other way, between limited hours for laundry and cleaning and having a 4 year old and everything else that goes with being a working mom.

Mummy Grabill said...

Bel - admittedly, I never got to the "sweet spot" that I've heard about with nursing. I'm curious to see how it goes when we have a second one. I love that there are so many options. I had a lot of heartache over my decision (you mentioned unrealistic expectations for moms!) I wanted him to be breast fed for all the benefits and the cost savings with not buying formula, but I was stressing so much with nursing . . . ultimately my mom helped me decide when she gave me the advice "you need to do what is going to make you happy, because having a happy relaxed mother is what is best for Alex".

belsum said...

Amen sister. I know I'm a better mom by not being home with the kids all day every day. I would so need Mother's Little Helpers if this was the 50s. I'm glad you didn't give in to the Mommy Patrol and did what is right for you and for your son. I told my friend, who was being hassled by the Nipple Nazis when she was having trouble breastfeeding her son, to ask them if they would prefer her child starved to death. Heh.

Are you feeling the extreme lactation hunger with the pumping? I can't decide if I'm *actually* saving money by nursing. Sure, I'm not buying formula but I'm eating constantly!

Elen said...

Well not to frighten anyone but it has been nearly 18 months since I last breastfed my youngest (he is 2.5 now) and I can still get milk. Not enough to feed anyone but enough to ummm...give my husband a surprise. TMI?? I can wear normal bras now and have for last 17 months since ended lactation.
I loved breastfeeding once I got the hang of it with Ryan (eldest) - he was small and early - had to learn how to suck feed (no reflex) and to latch. I nearly gave up so often. My MIL IS a BF Nazi but she was helpful - she flew up and did everything for me and baby except feed the baby so I could 100% concentrate on feeding. Thank you MIL.
Breast leaking is such fun! I was lecturing and was between classes and had some cute tradies smile at me. I thought woot I am a hot mama! Then I went to the bathroom and realised I'd leaked. Ah well.
The biggest thing I had to remember while working and feeding was to NOT think of the baby or I wuld get a letdown (leak).
Keep up the good work Bel - if you love it do it.

Mummy Grabill said...

Bel - YES! I have a never ending stomach, that's for sure. I think I feel hungry non stop these days. Producing milk has certainly helped get me within 5 pounds of my pre-prego weight, however I think that's finally slowed/stopped and I'll actually need to get off my duff for the last 5 . . . oh well.

Elly, ok that *did* scare me! I hope that doesn't happen to me!!! I mean, as long as my boobs go back to their original size (smaller would be even better) I guess I'd be okay, but still!! I think on my next baby I want to try to stick it out longer with nursing. I'd really like to know what it feels like to totally love it, and I know you have to stick with it to get there. Oh well, we'll see ... only time would tell. I'm happy that we can all make the decisions that work best for us without feeling bad about it. It's important to feel supported.

superbadfriend said...

Elly. That scared me, and I've never even had a child.

belsum said...

Oh man, if we're trading leaking stories...I leaked through the pad one day. I looked down and just couldn't even believe what I was seeing. Thankfully I was wearing a light cardigan so I could cover it up and I had some spare pads in my pump case. I totally forgot to wear pads today so fingers crossed! Leaking hasn't been as bad lately. It's a good thing I don't let down just by *thinking* of the Sweet Bundle because I always have a picture of my kids on my computer desktop!

And I'm not going to even consider those last few preggo pounds until she's weaned. Heh.

Zany Mama said...

Always interesting to hear about other folks' boobies. We're still deeply in Nursing-Land. Eily is 14 months old and shows no signs of stopping. Zane quit at 15 months, so she may be just around the corner, but I find myself not caring so much this time re: when she quits.

Mostly because I didn't do the hassle this time of pumping - if I wasn't around, I supplemented with formula. I've found nursing to be a whole lot more enjoyable since I haven't always been worried about my supply when I was away.

I personally loathed pumping, so this time of nursing - but not pumping - has been great. I may do it forever. Except I won't. Because, you know, my child is allergic to everything so I'm constantly hungry.

Send food.

belsum said...

I'm not a fan of pumping at all, Zany. But I do like the regular breaks at work, heh, and I am getting a helluva lot of reading done! If my boobs didn't feel like they would explode, I'd totally skip it. I'm not afraid of formula either. ;)

Do you have to restrict your diet because of Eily's allergies? Do they come through in the milk?