Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Socializing

Kirk is destined to be The Weird Kid in school. I mean, I suppose it was sort of inevitable with us as his parents. He could have rebelled by becoming a football jock or something but that’s already seeming incredibly unlikely. I’ve noticed that he even increases his weirdness quotient when he’s around other kids he’s not very familiar with. We were at a company softball game last week and he was off playing with random stranger kids that were attached to the game at the adjacent diamond. And he was totally upping the bizarre behavior, strange voices, calling things by the wrong names, deliberately subverting the rules of their impromptu game, that kind of thing. After some tattling to us they ended up finding a rhythm and playing together nicely but it definitely took a while.

I’ve noticed that older kids tend to exclude Kirk when there’s a group of kids playing together. At daycare there’s a 5 year old boy that he just idolizes and this boy is generally nice to Kirk. Except when all the other kids are gone for the day and the only other one left besides them is the 7 year old Mean Girl. Then they are rude and mean and call him names and don’t let him play with them. I’ve even seen this happen with Kirk’s alley friend who is about to turn 6. They play together so nicely and are really great friends, running over to each other’s houses and playing in each other’s yards. But whenever any of the other neighborhood kids are involved, again Kirk ends up being left behind.

I’m trying to not get too involved in child politics. Obviously he’s going to have to learn how to fend for himself because he’ll be starting school in a year and lord knows he’ll be interacting with all kinds then. But I am also trying to make sure that we go to as many family friendly artistic and intellectual type events as possible. Like the iron pour back in July. Going to Art-a-Whirl. We’re meeting my sister for a community theater production of the Jungle Book this Thursday. We bring both kids with to drop Daddy off at gigs. I bring them to book club once a month. Basically I want him to know that there are other weirdos out there. Musicians and artists and comic book readers and sci-fi fans and boys that wear pink dresses. He may be called “nerd” already (which I think is solely due to wearing glasses) but being a nerd is a good thing.

We do need to help Kirk to understand fandom. He gets so obsessive over something and expects everybody to automatically know what he’s talking about every single time. Not everyone has seen exactly what movie or book he’s referencing. Hell, not everybody has even heard of things like Doctor Who. Most kids can’t name a single rock drummer from the 60s, much less choose a favorite one.

I’ve decided that one thing I can do is get Kirk involved in activities. Nothing major. Just community offerings like swimming lessons and karate. I’ve been talking about signing him up for something for a year now and haven’t gotten around to doing it yet. I don’t think I can put it off anymore. I certainly don’t expect or even want him to be “normal” but I do think having some “normal” interests will help to normalize him around other kids.

9 comments:

Anne C. said...

You're a good mom, bel. :)

superbadfriend said...

Kirkie is so lucky to have you and Mr. B as his parents. If anything, Kirkie will end up having intellectual conversations with his teachers cause he is so cool like that. We love interacting with Kirkie, he is incredibly smart and know so much about so many things well beyond his peers. He's an old soul or future one for that matter, maybe come back in time? He's an amazing child. I can't wait to see what he grows up to be. xoxo

Katie said...

Kirk sounds like a pretty amazing kid to me. You and Mr B are supportive, have realistic expectations, and perhaps most importantly, it sounds as though you've been there yourself. I have no doubt that he'll take a nod from both of you and persevere just fine. Kudos to you for raising an individual.

belsum said...

Thank you ladies. Just hearing that encouragement helps. A lot.

Mummy Grabill said...

I was just having a conversation today with a fellow Mom (mother of a 2 and a 4 year old) about the lion inside of her when she first ran into the situation where another kid made her little boy feel unwanted. She said she's never felt anything so powerful before - never expected to feel like smacking a child like she wanted to smack that kid. Luckily she's super pragmatic and realizes that she has to help her little guy learn about all the things that he's going to experience in life - including being rejected.

The hard part is that the rewards seem so far off when you are a kid in elementary school that just wants to fit in. It's terribly hard to recognize that by the time you are in college, you are going to be so super cool because everyone else has grown up and learned that being different is awesome! Seems like Kirk choose the right family to be born into to assist him with that journey. Good on 'ya! :-)

Elen said...

Yes us nerds are born not made. Here in Oz I think you can get away with being intelligent if you are also good at a sport. I strongly encourage a sporting activity for Kirk. If he is unco find a sport that doesn't require co-ordination. Also most kids become more co-ordinated with practice.
But isn't the playground one ruthless place?

BTW I do intervene because I don't think all parents care about such things as treating your friends and visitors fairly. I think everyone should learn how to pay attention to what others are doing and try to find a common ground. I never permit bullying in my range. Ever.

Adoresixtyfour said...

Kirk sounds like he'll be the coolest kid on the block--hell, he might already be! (Haviong cool parents really helps, it does.)

belsum said...

It's incredibly hard not to run down and shake the other kids, Mum! How do you approach scolding the other kids, Elly? If I were to witness *actual* bullying I think I'd have to get involved. But largely I just coach Kirk like in that awesome boy-wearing-dresses essay, explaining to him that the mean behavior isn't nice but some people simply aren't nice and that if he politely asks them to stop and they keep doing it he needs to just stop playing with them. I don't think it's really that bad but it's definitely enough for me to worry.

And thanks A64!

Elen said...

It depends. If I do not know the kid and the behaviour calls for it i get down to their eye level and I explain that it is not ok to do that. I don't generally touch that child beyond a light hey I am talking to you touch - one second max. Most kids back right down if you do that. I actually also use it for teenagers - obviously I don't kneel (I am 5 foot)
If it is not that bad I use that old tactic diversion - try to get all the kids involved in something they can all do together. I also listen in and invent roles - so if you have two kids playing mummy and daddy and saying you don't need another mummy or daddy then I invent the crazy uncle come to visit or just have them have a visitor so they can practice their visitor skills.
i actually don't believe most kids at this pre-school early school years age want to be or are malicious I generally think it is thoughtless parenting not nipping that behaviour in the bud. Kids don't know it is cruel to ignore someone - but they won't ever know if no one explains it to them.
Sorry this happens to be one of my personal rants!!!