Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Geekery

Bigger on the Inside

Recently we finally got a dishwasher and we naturally gave the box to Kirk to play in. It comes equipped with two doors and two windows.

Peek!

Kirk has been referring to it as his spaceship. Mr. b has been calling it a TARDIS. Either way, it’s been fun to watch him play in it. Of course now it’s relegated to the basement but still. Kirk would announce, "Bye! I’m going to space. See you later!" and then disappear into the box. I love his imagination and his fascination with space.

I don’t feel like having us as his parents has in any way forced science fiction upon him. If anything, it’s simply made it more available to him but the tendency has always been there on its own. Kirk quickly focused his attention on Buzz Lightyear, rather than Woody, when first watching Toy Story. We have had nothing to do with his preference for The Incredibles over Ratatouille. Sure, when he was in his Star Wars phase last year we had a selection of lightsabers already on hand for him to play with. But even when he was a baby he was captivated by the planets and robots in the Baby Galileo video. That’s not something you can predict.

I do remember having the same natural predilection when I was little. I loved the Maurice Sendak "Little Bear" stories but my favorite one was where Little Bear went to the moon. I would tape the Wonderful World of Disney Sunday Night TV movies and only keep the ones like Earth Star Voyager. My first hazy memory is of seeing Star Wars at the drive-in with my parents. I didn’t know it was a specific genre that I was drawn to. I never even made the connection until decades later.

There’s the concept of the Stealth Geek that I enjoy. (Though lord knows in our hipster music circles everyone is pretty open about their Doctor Who and Battlestar Galactica and Lord of the Rings obsessions.) I think that Kirk is already showing awareness of a receptive audience. When a friend of the family was over recently and she mentioned Star Trek he started chatting excitedly about the show. He’s got his favorite couple of episodes and showed off how he put action figures in his Little Einsteins rocket to use as the Enterprise. But when he was around his cousins over Thanksgiving he didn’t mention anything of the sort. They talked about Cars and whatever attack-Mr.-b’s-cousin game they were playing. I’m impressed that he’s already that cognizant of the cultural divide. And that he finds common ground with people to discuss something they find interesting, instead of just going off on his own topics. I’ve realized I do that, too. I unconsciously keep a mental catalogue of common interests with rarely seen friends and acquaintances so that I always have an easy conversation starter when I do see them.

It’s intriguing to hear people’s reactions to Kirk’s interests though. Some just shrug it off as inevitable. Others think it’s cool that we don’t have to put up with the usual Barney and whatever garbage. But it’s not like he doesn’t watch any of the standard PBS/Disney Channel/Nickelodeon kid’s shows. He just mixes it up with stuff that we genuinely enjoy as well. And frankly, I don’t see anything wrong with that.

8 comments:

Emily said...

Aww, you have your own little geek. How sweet. I think some kids are just drawn to certain things. How else did my parents (a writer and an philosophy nut) produce a science geek?

And good for him for already understand the cultural divide. I still haven't quite gotten the idea that not everyone enjoys science the way I do (I told my mom last night after dinner about this murder investigation I was reading and was quite... descriptive. To me, no big deal. To her... um, sorry mom!)

belsum said...

Yikes. I wouldn't been able to deal with that dinner conversation either. Murder and serial killers are tops of my Not Interested list. I'm fine with fantasy violence and gore but historical war movies? Can't handle 'em.

Mummy Grabill said...

Ok - so *awesome* that Kirk loves to play in a box! I love that! I thought for sure that that kind of innocent enjoyment was gone from our culture, I'm glad to see it is alive and well!

I think the best thing you can do for your children is give them a love of learning and curiosity - the rest is up to them to decide what they want to learn and be curious about. And if you can add a good sense of social/cultural common sense there, well that just makes their lives MUCH easier growing up!

BTW - did my glucose test yesterday. After everything I'd heard I was NOT looking forward to it, but it was easy peasy! I had a Fruit Punch flavored drink and while it was super sweet, it wasn't nearly as bad as drinking, say, Alkseltzer. And I didn't have any adverse affects either (which the Dr said some women can have) so I guess I was lucky.

Emily said...

I'm really strange. Forensic science has been my passion for over half my life. Science in general really. Bugs and guts more than sugar and spice.

belsum said...

I'm glad to hear it went well, mum! I think I had the orange flavored one last time and it...just wasn't very good. No adverse reactions but definitely not tasty.

I LOVED having a box to play in when I was little! Kirk's got a great book called "Not a Box" that maybe you'll have to find for your little one. It's all about the various uses for a box. And the art is great.

Interestingly, EmH, I'm fine with forensic anthropology. I think because it's not, ahem, fresh. I mean, I've excavated human remains before and not had a problem with it but they were thousands of years old so...

Emily said...

The next book I'm gonna read is about forensic anthropology. I'm reading a generic forensic book now, but after that, I'm planning on, well, okay, I've got the nonfiction forensic book, then I've gotta finish up the fiction forensic book, and then the forensic anthrolopology book.

(and then after that I have a book about war and what happens afterwards. Or a book about a mother abandoning her kids.
I don't exactly read the happiest of books)

Although I gotta say I'm jealous of the fact you've excavated human remains before. SO AWESOME

Anne C. said...

(Just getting caught up on these...)

Hee! I love what a great imagination Kirk has. I think that's something you and mr. b fostered.

Do you remember how Calvin & Hobbes used to use a cardboard box for their games?

belsum said...

Oh man, you have no idea how much Calvin & Hobbes influences our parenting. The mister just loves all the wacky lies that his dad used to make-up to tell Calvin!