Sunday, December 07, 2008

Breaking Fast

Just when I think I've got this whole breakfast thing finally figured out...it seems like my tastes are changing yet again. It made a certain amount of sense that I was wanting a protein infusion in the morning to get me started and then carbs late in the day to fuel the overnight baby factory shift. Lords knows the squirminess is at disco proportions in the evenings. And dairy in general has given me heartburn so it also makes sense that I'd be avoiding that. A couple people have suggested protein shakes instead of eggs and that just sounds revolting. I'm not even having yogurt as second breakfast anymore and I've done that for years and years. Frankly, most of my calcium is coming from late night ice cream and Rolaids!

So now that I've adjusted and have been trying all the Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls and other savory quick meal options, cereal is starting to sound attractive again. I still haven't been brave enough to try a bowl before going to work in the morning. None of the cold cereals I have in the cupboard sound tasty to me. And I haven't even been buying myself skim milk lately because it's not like I'd be drinking it. But hot, whole grain cereals have been calling to me on the weekends again. I had a bowl of oatmeal this morning with Kirk's 2%. I haven't yet figured out how to interpret that.

The strangest craving that I'm dealing with this pregnancy is candy. I don't mean chocolate. I don't even mean cookies or cake or sweet-tooth stuff in general. I mean candy. Skittles and Starbursts and Dots and gummy bears and that kind of thing. Can't get enough of it. I usually manage to resist all day and then end up eating a bunch at night an hour before going to bed. Which can't possibly be good for either being currently inhabiting this body. And yet, I can't stop it. It's so weird. Objectively, I'm kinda freaked out by this behavior. I'm normally a salty snacks gal. This is just plain odd. But yummy!

4 comments:

Mummy Grabill said...

I really haven't had anything that I would specifically call a 'craving'. I mean, I went through a phase where I wanted lot's of grapefruit. But I don't consider that something that wouldn't have ordinarily have happened to me . . . not sure. I guess I'm just looking for something drastic, like something I used to hate becoming something I can't get enough of. I does suck when nothing seems appetizing, yet you're really hungry.

belsum said...

I totally know what you mean, mum. I can remember last pregnancy sitting and eating spinach directly from the salad sack. But it's not like I never eat spinach normally and I knew that I was low in iron specifically so it's hard to call it A Craving.

You hear stories about those women that like...eat dirt and stuff. Maybe they just don't normally have good nutrition? I don't get it.

Mummy Grabill said...

Yes!!! Dirt!! That's exactly what I'm talking about! Or the pickles with ice cream, drizzled with soy sauce or something crazy like that! I just don't get it!

belsum said...

Well the pickles one I understand. They're a natural antacid! (The vinegar is a base and neutralizes the acid in your stomach.) But still. How much of that other kind of wackiness is a product of TV writers' imaginations do you think?