Monday, November 03, 2008

Halloween


Mr. b compared my making a costume for Halloween to him learning a bunch of cover songs for the various charity concerts Mercurial Rage has been playing lately: hours and hours of work for a very short pay-off. I rather liked that. I’m mostly pleased with how my costume turned out. I should have shortened the bodice and I could nitpick the placement of the tassel and if I had a dressmaker’s dummy I could have done the beading a bit straighter. But really, it’s just a Halloween costume and it’s Good Enough.

Halloween turned into a major family event.

Costume Party!

My sister moved on Tuesday so I had invited her girls over for trick-or-treating.
I figured she needed one less thing to worry about while sorting through boxes and cleaning and all the rest of the shit that goes with a major move. But then I also realized that since she’s always lived in apartment buildings, my nieces have never experienced neighborhood trick-or-treating before!

Cousins in Costume

My parents both came down, too, (my brother had car trouble so his boys couldn’t join us) to enjoy the costumed festivities. They live in the boonies now so this is the first Halloween they’ve had in years. My dad said he most missed passing out candy so he manned the front door while Mr. b and Nana took the kids around. I was the floater and both went out as well as hung out with Dad and carved my pumpkin. By the end Dad was wearing a scary mask and just terrifying the older, late-comer kids, which was never not hilarious.

A King, a Queen, and a Space Ranger walk into a bar…

4 comments:

Emily said...

And where are Buzz Lightyear's wings? How is he supposed to fly?

Seems like a lot of fun. We got 3 groups of visitors (7 kids total) and was a very boring night. I dresed up as someone completely bored.

belsum said...

Shhh! We aren't mentioning the lack of wings! I had told him I'd make him some out of cardboard but never got around to it. He was fine without.

We got our usual 60 or 80 kids spread out over 2 or 3 hours.

Anne C. said...

You look so cute, bel! (Your hubby and son look great too.)

belsum said...

Thanks doll!