Friday, May 25, 2007

You Could be a Beau Brummell, Baby

Last week I found myself dressed rather like my college self. Mod plaid hat, head band, Farscape sweatshirt (OK, that would have been an anachronism), punk rawk belt, plaid pants, red sneakers. Me of 10+ years ago would have loved to have that outfit! But it's mildly out of character for the me of today. Now I tend to wear things like wide-legged, cuffed, grey linen trousers/black, satin, capped-sleeve, ruffle-front shirt/grey silk headband or black tulip shirt/three-quarters sleeve light blue button-down shirt/pearl necklace. But since I was at a programming class, I dressed down instead of how I normally look at work. Not that I couldn't wear that to work. Hell, most of the people there dress extremely casually. However, I've been consciously wearing more career appropriate (What Would Jan Wear) and age appropriate clothing since I came back from maternity leave.

But that phrase "age appropriate" sure is loaded! I don't know when it became an insult. Hipsters love to snark on the old guy in the club but they still all wear the current uniform of skinny jeans, wrinkled T, and artfully touseled hair. Khakis are for The Man, man! Don't interfere with my creativity! But just how creative is it to find a funny t-shirt online, buy it, and add it to your collection?

I think my problem is that I am just finally getting to the age I wanted to dress as all along. Even as a kid wearing hand-me-downs from my older cousins I wanted to be sophisticated. I can remember specific purchases from The Limited and Express that I bought in junior high and wore despite their being completely wrong for me. I wanted to wear luxe fabrics with intricate detailing - basically the ideal presented in my brain from too many viewings of The Gay Divorcee. Once I realized that was quite simply unattainable (and yes, my innate laziness was/is most definitely a factor), I kind of over corrected and, as Mr. b so lovingly put it, started dressing like a clown. I wore the most garish colors and prints I could find. I layered anything together with anything else. Pucci prints and Lady Miss Kier catsuits and 60s mod mini-dresses and enormous flower earrings and plastic children's barrettes and tiered peasant skirts and patchwork hats and garlands of plastic beads. I was every fad from every time period, chewed up and puked out. My love of fashion and history combined to overtake my common sense. Sudden weight gain after college did nothing to break me of years of bad dressing habits. I could no longer pull off the 20s Flapper drop-waisted dresses, 90s Raver tiny tops and big pants, or the 60s minis that my old curveless body fit so well. So instead I just hid under piles of boy clothes. Styles and trends don't matter when you're doing fieldwork anyway. I had always sewn for myself (probably another reason for my chaotic satorial choices) but I suddenly stopped because I was no longer my own perfectly sized model.

Since joining the ranks of corporate American, I've come to remember my inital, tailored desires. Part of me wonders if it's because I now have the curves required to fill out the skirt suits of the 30s and 40s. I love the look of what Katherine Gerdes termed the "Target Girls" and totally hope to attain that level of chicness myself. The catch is that if I begin wearing slacks and jackets, the assumption is that I am giving up my "creativity", either due to corporate zombie-ism or because I'm a mom and moms always stop dressing cool. Or else they shop in the Junior's department with their daughter and that's just sad.

But I don't think that being a mom has anything to do with my love of being on trend. I don't think that following the adage of "dressing for the job that you want" proves you can't think for yourself. And I don't think that being stylish means giving up your individuality. I think dressing my age is empowering. As much as Stacy and Clinton have hammered into the heads of legions of women that you need to dress for your size, regardless of what that size is, I find their secondary message of mature style much more gratifying. I was browsing through a thrift shop a few weeks ago and realized that I'm just not interested in those over-the-top vintage items anymore. Give me classic clean lines anyday. Betsey Johnson is fun in theory but I'd rather wear Chanel.

The problem with voicing this opinion is that you come off as bitter. Bitter that you're old and used up. That you're tied down domestically and can't run amok. Bitter that you can't fit into slutty hootchie clothes. And I think that's extremely unfair. I remember an episode of Sex in the City where some woman at a bar was saying that she doesn't need to go out and canoodle with any random guys that cross her path and that she's happy to be settled down into a predictable pattern. The words were nice but her bitchface and her harsh voice implied that it was all a lie.

I had a lovely conversation with a friend several months ago, reminiscing about all the fun times, fun shows, fun parties. We agreed that while it was nice to remember, it's so much better to be in the now.

So the trick is to not get distracted by naysayers and doubters and try to put all this sartorial philosophy into action. Shopping is hard. Off the rack never really fits well and while I hate doing my own tailoring, I'm also too lazy to bring pieces to a proper tailor shop. And I'm cheap. And I've got the cliche mom mindset that I should spend money on everything and everyone but myself. So the first step is to purge my wardrobe of those plaid pants. The legs are too short, the waist is too wide, they're totally 90s (check out early season Rachel on Friends, no butt pockets look good on no one), and completely unflattering.

7 comments:

Anne C. said...

Heh. I'm there too, bel. Sometime in the last two or three years (since my best gal pals took me under thier wings), I found fashion was for me too. I love looking awesome, mainly because I never believed I did before. Fashion: It's not just for TV/movie stars anymore.
(Stacey and Clinton helped me too!)

:)

Anonymous said...

Weirdly, I'm totally regressing, fashion-wise. In my early 20s, I wore more tailored stuff and now I like to dress like a 15-year-old trolling for dick! I even just bought a pair of pink Heelys so I can roll around the grocery store. They look like old-skool L.A. Gears.

Ooh...funny story. I was shopping in the Juniors department recently and I threw this adorable baby doll dress into my cart that was so 1994 (the good old days.) This teenager walks past with her mom, and the mom says "How about that, dress?" and the daughter was like "EWWWW!" So no matter how hard I fight it, I must have mom taste!

belsum said...

Hee, diablo, you just want to end up on GoFugYourself - then you'll know you're really semi-famous! (So where was the 90s dress? Maybe I need to investigate that!)

I know you've gone through a fashion baptism lately, too, Ana. Go us!

Jon Hunt said...

See, i dress like I do -- *not age appropriate at all* because, as I've said before, in the times when I've tried to "sharpen up" my style and wear khakis or black dress pants or whatever I feel like I'm wearing drag. Seriously, all day long, I feel like I'm wearing a dress, or a gunny sack, or something totally wrong and not me. So I have to dress like a stupid teenager to feel comfortable, and since I *am* the old guy in the club, I no longer make fun of that guy anymore!!

belsum said...

How did I just *know* that you, Jon, of all people, were going to take offense at this post? I didn't know you even still read this! Hee!

Zany Mama said...

I feel you on this one - but I will say that a girl that wears AppleBottoms can't be too into sophistication! :)

I feel like I'm a bit "in-between" - feel ridiculous in clothes from the junior's department but don't want to look like a matron.

The reason I do lots of shopping at Anthropologie - my absolute favorite store in the universe.

belsum said...

Ah but zany, you misunderstood me. I said I liked Apple Bottoms, I never said I actually wear them! Hee!