Monday, May 21, 2007

The Most Important Meal of the Day

Kirk doesn’t eat breakfast. He’s just not hungry when he gets up. This is totally foreign to me as I need to eat something within 30 minutes of getting out of bed. On weekdays I have to make myself get dressed and mostly ready for work before having a bowl of cereal. And I still need second breakfast a couple hours later! Mr. b, in contrast, is sickened by the very idea of eating sooner than several hours after getting up. I guess I know where Kirk gets it from. He’ll have a glass of milk but that’s it. I’m not going to even try to force it anymore. Yesterday I made "candy" muffins (apple-oatmeal with mini-chocolate chips) and Kirk wolfed down one in no time. I presented a muffin to him this morning and he had maybe four or five teensy weensy little bites off the top before he was done. So I’m not going to fight this battle; it’s not worth it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stopped eating breakfast altogether in junior high, and didn't start again until after I was married and trying to control my weight. Food first thing in the morning grosses me right out. I'm not sure what to do about it for a kid, though; he really will need fuel before school. Delay as long as possible, I guess.

Good mom, with the no-forcing-food! I applaud that stance.

Anne C. said...

I, too, was a non-breakfaster until I was out of school. Like lis, I knew I should do it because it would help my metabolism. One day, on the way to work, I was actually hungry, so I stopped by the grocery store and bought myself milk and cereal to keep at work, and after that I've been eating breakfast pretty much every day. On days that I work out in the morning, I'm even hungrier and have to scramble a quick egg for myself.
It's been wierd. Good for my weight, but wierd.

belsum said...

Thanks for the perspective from non-breakfast eaters, you guys. I'm glad to hear that you were fine! I figure if he's starving, he'll ask for something besides milk. So much easier than trying to force it!