Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Morbid Thoughts

Mr. b recently booked our tickets to France for our 10th Anniversary in September. And then I said that we needed a will. I wasn't trying to bring doom upon our trip, because honestly I can't wait and it's going to be loads of fun. But it just strikes me as the responsible thing to do now that we're parents. I remember that when my parents and I went to the USSR in '87 but my sister and brother stayed behind, they set up a will. And with one of the Merc Rage members about to graduate law school, it was pretty easy to find out what we need. Apparently there's a simple form that we can fill out and get notarized; we figure Kirk will go to my sister and my dad will take care of the "estate".

But I've been extra aware of my own mortality these last few weeks anyways. My dad found out that a classmate of mine from my dance studio passed away. And it's not like we were particularly close, but we were in the same competitive troupe for years and traveled together and had sleep overs and practiced together and so I certainly knew her well. And 31 is just too young.

What I found interesting is that my dad thought that the fact that she didn't have kids was a blessing. There were no youngsters left without a mother. Whereas I thought it was tragic that she died before she had a chance to experience the utter joy that is being a mother.

For me it's less about the "immortality" of having a part of you continue after you're gone. Though I definitely grieve for her parents loss and for the grandchildren they'll never have. And as much as I'm fascinated by my own and Mr. b's genealogies, continuing the line is not of the utmost priority. (Thought I confess to loving the "heir and a spare" expectations for the royal family.) Yet if something were to, goddess forbid, happen to Mr. b, I would be comforted by the idea that I have a part of him still with me in Kirk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's not morbid, it is prudent.

Anonymous said...

hey girl, i am a notary- bring it on over and i can take care of it for you. it's a good idea- i am acutally buying life insurance. I guess that means we are grown ups...

belsum said...

Thanks, lis.

And you're right, angelmamma, we're totally grown ups now! I need to get better life insurance, too....

Zany Mama said...

Yeah, SRH and I had the whole will discusson about 2 years ago. Very uncomfortable that. Responsible, but uncomfortable.

We're also about to celebrate our 10th. SRH is wanting to leave the country, but I'm not sure I'm feeling it. There's something about being a parent. And being a parent with your child in a different country.

I'm just not at ease with it yet. (But I haven't completley ruled it out either because, duh, I'd love to go to Ireland.)