Thursday, March 18, 2010

What's next? Trees?

Ronnie is climbing the furniture. Literally. It happened quite suddenly to my mind. I was home sick last Tuesday and not being particularly observant of either of the kids and I realized that she was hauling herself up onto the couch. She seems to do better in the corner of the sectional, probably because she can get a better grip having an angle instead of a straight line. She has been quicker and quicker and has been trying – so far unsuccessfully – to climb the ottoman as well.

Last Monday was her One Year Well Baby (90% height! 85% weight!) and Doc B warned us she would be a climber if she was as much of a menace as we were describing. I just didn’t expect his prediction to come true the very next day.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Way to go, Ronnie!!
Better get used to keeping an eye on her, Mama!

Adoresixtyfour said...

Does this mean you have to get shorter furniture?

superbadfriend said...

Does this mean she's gonna climb out her crib?

;)

xo

Anonymous said...

Yes, to the trees if she is outdoors ... how well I know , I was baby #1 and climbing out of my crib by 9 months if not earlier (I walked at 9 mths according to the parents). I can still remember sitting on a counter (climbed the bar stools) to get to the leftover coffee in the cups. I also climbed all over my swingset too.

When I was 14, I went to the neighbors to hangout ... the 2yr-few-mths old girl was on top of a very tall swingset (3 older brothers). Her mother was in the kitchen keeping an eye on the crew. Apparently the Big Bros taught her this new trick that week. It took another week or so for her to find some other new trick!

As an adult, I went to another neighbors house to take care of the toddler (another girl). Found a Dr Seuss like construction of a chair, a stool and a box all stacked so the small girl (2-3 yrs) could try to reach the top shelf in the coat closet by the back door. I wish I had a camera! The Mom and put something on the top shelf, purposely out of her reach. I had a good laugh out of that one.

Do keep an eye out for new tricks, but we all three survived our childhoods in good form. It's just part of exploring our environment.

M (ex-babysitter)

belsum said...

Oh man, I was a big time tree climber, too. I keep expecting her to climb out of her crib but so far she hasn't figured it out. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Note to self: start scanning Craigslist for toddler beds.