Friday, March 05, 2010

Two by Two

My appetite has been reduced greatly in the last week or two. I think I’m on the last leg of the weaning process. Ronnie has been more and more frustrated with the lack of milk when she does nurse and I usually end up giving her a bottle even if I do put her at the boob first. I’m basically down to three times a day: when I get home from work, before bed, and in the middle of the night. And all of those are hit or miss now. Just holding her and carrying her around when I get home seems to be enough mama attention. She’s starting to fall asleep sitting in my lap before bed on more than just the rare occasion. And she usually just wants to be held in the middle of the night, not really wanting anything to actually drink.

So now I have to figure out if I should switch my pills to the regular hormones or stay on the “nursing pill” for one more month as a buffer period. I’m leaning towards the latter, just so there’s a little more time for us to gradually get used to it. Veronica has her 1 year well baby visit on Monday so I need to decide before then and make sure I get a prescription.

I also need to remember that I don’t need as many calories as I’ve been ingesting. I don’t think I’m going to have the problem I had with my failed attempts nursing Kirk where I gained weight because of how much I was eating. I’m actually physically getting full but still ordering/taking proportions for nursing calories. I can think of at least three instances in the last four or so days where I had just plain too much food in front of me. Even a month ago I wouldn’t have hesitated to eat it all. Which means now I need to get back to an exercise regimen.

Coming upon Bundle’s one year birthday has also made me realize that I think I am happy with “just” two kids. Sure, three seems “right”. But there were also so many problems with three. It was always two against one. Times where all three of us were happy together were so rare that I can’t come up with more than one or two specific examples. Even now there’s always one of us as the odd man out. I want Kirk and Ronnie to enjoy spending time together. I don’t want sibling politics to be involved anymore than simple older brother versus little sister. I want them to have closeness because they have each other. And frankly, the idea of being pregnant again sounds terrible to me. I really, really, really don’t want to do that again.

3 comments:

Mummy Grabill said...

Bel - no need to justify any decision you make! The thing is, whatever you choose, THAT will be their reality and they'll never be able to imagine life any other way! I'm the youngest of three and therefore am thankful that my parents didn't stop at two! LOL But also realize that if they had, they'd never have thought they were missing anything (I'm not THAT narcissistic!). :-) I feel compelled to have three, but then again, I haven't gotten through the second one so I'll reserve the right to change my mind at any time! :-)

belsum said...

Heh. Sounds like your threesome actually got along with each other!!

But yeah, the kids won't know anything else. It's the same way that kids don't know that they're poor. It's all they know and as long as they're loved, that's all that matters.

Mummy Grabill said...

Too right! :-) And, yes, we three did get along quite well most of the time. Not always, but mostly. And actually, sort of the reverse of what you mentioned, we always had *someone* to play with because even if we were on the outs with one, there was always the other to play with. It always worked out. But there was plenty of "ganging up" on each other. But I like your line of thinking - all that matters is that they are loved. :-)