Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Eye Boogers

Ronnie had her first non-weight check or well baby related doctor’s visit yesterday. She woke up with her right eye crusted shut. It had been sort of boogery/mucusy on and off for the previous two days but never really that bad. She hasn’t had a fever or any other signs of sickness, other than a slight cough, so I hadn’t been worried about her. But even though having your eye that crusty is a pretty legitimate reason to go in to the doctor, I still wondered if I was just being an alarmist parent.

Doc didn’t seem to think I brought her in unnecessarily. He prescribed some eye drops, which I suck at administering. Babies have such immature sinuses that mucus can only really escape through the tear ducts and that in turn can cause an eye infection. I’m just glad that her first sickness is an easy one.

7 comments:

Katie said...

We went through this a few times when Henry was little. Unfortunately though, I was one of those alarmist, first time parents who brought him in every time he sneezed. I've gotten better about that. :)

Anonymous said...

Rachel had a blocked duct when she was a month or two old. Eye gunk is nasty! I didn't take her in for it, though; I think maybe I'm too laid-back about her. She's a tough cookie, though.

Adoresixtyfour said...

Ew. I had this issue once--my sinuses were so full of gunk that it started coming out of one eye, and that eye sealed itself shut while I slept. Eye drops cleared it up, but still...ew. I feel for Bundle.

belsum said...

So far her eye seems to be better. They're still a little crusty in the morning, but aren't ours all?

Adoresixtyfour said...

"Crusty" is better than "welded shut."

belsum said...

Amen brother.

superbadfriend said...

Poor Ronnie. I am coming in on this so late, but I hope she is feeling better. xoxo