Monday, April 28, 2008

Rag Rug


I am very proud of my crocheted rag rug creation. I felt oddly close to my Scando ancestors while working on this. I think it turned out great but agree with both Mr. b and superbadfriend that it could be a bit bigger (perspective). The question is: what color next? Out of the fabrics that I have on hand, I think either light yellow, white, or sage green would be best. I am not keen on buying new cotton, since that sort of goes against the recycling type of mentality that is the point of a rag rug in the first place. But once this winter finally stops there should be some sheets or whatnot to be found at garage sales. If only the Crazy Squirrel hadn't crapped on the brown sheets I had already torn into strips before I got a chance to sew them end-to-end...

5 comments:

Anne C. said...

I think I still have I have some dark green sheets that are "jersey" knit. I dislike them because the jersey is too stretchy and becomes deformed. Would those help? (I'll double check that I have them.)

superbadfriend said...

YAY! I was going to suggest going darker too. Anne, those sheets sound perfect. The "pizza" is really fantastic. And so soft. If I were a cat I would totally curl up on it and slumber the day away.

Great job lady! Biggah make it biggaaaah.

I am stuck in my Martha voice today :-) My co-workers are going to hate me.

Jill said...

It looks awesome!

belsum said...

Ooh, yes please anne! Let me know if you do have them. You rule! (Don't worry about trying to add that to your pre-India checklist though.)

Darker sounds like a plan to me, too, sbf but the only dark cotton I currently have in my collection is black. I don't think that would be right. I've got a couple of reds and oranges but I'm going to save those for the next rug. (I can't believe I'm already planning the next rug.)

Thank you jilly! You need to see it in person.

Anne C. said...

I do still have them, bel, and they're queen sized sheets, so there's plenty of material.
Remind me when I get back and I'll mail it to you.