Thursday, June 29, 2006

Problematic

There's a new factor in the ongoing trial of getting Kirk to go to bed. He stands up in his crib when he's crying. Which is both heartbreakingly adorable and annoying. Because now there's really no way he's going to calm down and "cry himself to sleep". I need to work on being a hardass. Last night I would let him cry for 5 minutes, hold him for 5 minutes, let him cry for 5 minutes. He eventually fell asleep in my arms about 10:30pm. But he really doesn't know how to fall asleep by himself. I just imagine this is going to be a bigger problem as he gets older and bigger and not in a crib anymore.

He's already pretty much too big for me to burp on my shoulder after a bottle. But I keep doing it anyway out of habit.

And he was sick of his walker to we gave that to my brother this weekend along with Kirk's exer-saucer. Oh and his unused boxes of "Gerber's cereal for baby". Maybe as long as two months ago Kirk stopped eating cereal. Any kind be it rice or oatmeal or mixed grain or whatever. Even when I made it with juice. He refused. So now he eats a handful of Cheerios for breakfast or maybe half a banana or something. Yeah, he likes real bananas. I don't get it. He's weird.

3 comments:

FEZ BEAR said...

The standing up in the crib and crying and whaling is a total heartbreaker.
I can't believe Kirk has mastered the Cheerio. Mama almost had to give Henry the heimlich maneuver a while back ago and that kinda scarred her from pushing the solids on him. It has been a slow process for us.

belsum said...

Well, he's been eating those Gerber fruit and veggie puffs for months now. And those just melt in the mouth!

LA said...

You introduced E to the magic of the Gerber "stars" which cleared the way for the wagon wheels. They have been an awesome into to solid foods.

E also stands up while crying. Sometimes she'll sit down and then fall foward and bonk her head - which is just awesome for another 20 minute wailfest complete with the shudders. Sigh. Someday we will all sleep through the night again.