Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Belly of the Beast

So this morning I couldn’t get out of the car. I literally couldn’t fit. Now, the spaces in that section of the ramp are incredibly tight and the car on the right was over the line but still. I couldn’t manage to squeeze out. Mr. b had to climb back in to the car, back it up, let me get out, and then re-park. Theoretically there’s enough room for me to get in when I leave for my doctor’s appointment this afternoon. But still. That was a helluva thing.

I’ve definitely moved past the point where fetal movements are charming and only occasionally annoying. They now are nearly always uncomfortable, if not downright hurty. But one good thing is that the girl hasn’t had the hiccups. I remember that was a pretty frequent occurrence for Kirk. However, after taking some time off, the Braxton Hicks returned in the wee hours this morning, keeping me awake.

We’ve also gotten to the point where sex is becoming extremely complicated. I just can’t figure out what tricks we learned last time. Or else maybe they don’t work this time? Of course then we didn’t have to also contend with shouts of “I’ve gotta go poop!” from down the hall to thoroughly break the mood.

I’ve noticed that when I change my weight between sitting and standing or get up from laying down that I suddenly feel like I have to pee. So there’s definite pressure happening on the ol’ bladder. And my stomach continues to be squeezed into a tinier space, making me fuller quicker but then ready to snack soon afterwards. That’s got to be why I put on 6 pounds last time.

I’m sort of shocked to realize that there’s really only about 2 months left. That’s gonna go faster than we notice. I’ll be switching to every-two-weeks for appointments after today. Hopefully my weight gain is in check. I’ve only been to the gym once in the past 3 weeks. I still have so many Responsible Adult things to get done before the baby comes. And if she decides to be nearly a month early like her brother, well, then I’m fraked.

  • Make eye appointment for Kirk (My dad always starts a list with something that’s already done.)

  • Make interview appointment for preschool for Kirk

  • Research daycare options if same location won’t also take infants

  • Talk to HR about maternity leave bureaucracy

  • Fill out and mail pre-admission form for hospital
  • 8 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Maybe he starts off a list like that because he wants to think he's accomplished something!

    Just wanted to say hi. Also congrats on your second child. Also congrats on having a job.

    Saw Mercurial Rage last Friday at the Kitty Kat Club. Have I ever told you your husband's band is really good?

    Have to go!
    Senor Audacity

    belsum said...

    Señor A! Great to hear from you. It's been far too long. I'm glad you made it to the show last week - yet another reason why I wish I had tried harder to get down to that one. *sigh* Did you see Chris's post afterwards?
    http://chetarthur.blogspot.com/2009/01/rocka-rolla.html

    Adoresixtyfour said...

    Sorry the discomfort level is increasing, but the finish line is in sight. You'll be able to get in & out of the car with ease again soonish. Me? I can't fit that well either. Only I'm not pregnant. And I don't drive.

    belsum said...

    Hee! Well, I guess next time I'm in Chicago we'll have to make sure Jessie gets us together so we can commiserate!

    Mummy Grabill said...

    Bel - my funny story about not fitting through spaces anymore is that when I flew to MD a few weeks ago I went to the bathroom on the plane, when I came out there were a few people waiting in the aisle for the bathroom. Here I am trying to get past them and they are barely moving out of the way. I'm like, 'DUDE! this (pointing at my tummy) doesn't suck in! I'm "sucking in" and that's all I got, get out of my f-ing way!" :-) Of course, that was all in my head as I said "sorry!" as I bumped people and smiled apologetically.

    I'm at 34 weeks tomorrow (Friday), can't BELIEVE we only have "6 weeks" left. We are still working on getting ready . . . sigh.

    belsum said...

    Why the frell wouldn't they move out of the way?! I don't get people. Redick. So 34 weeks, eh? Nice. Can you believe how quickly the never-ending pregnancy truly goes? Of course I had Kirk at 36.5 weeks so by those calculations you'd be almost done. HA!

    Mummy Grabill said...

    Ok Bel - that's scary! I had a moment when we were on vacation when I truly realized the error of my thought process. I'd been thinking in terms of this hard deadline - gotta be ready by March 6th . . . when I suddenly realized, duh, it could be earlier . . . I need to be ready earlier!!! Yikes!

    belsum said...

    Oh funny! Of course you could also end up one of those poor, miserable women that goes 2 weeks over so you never can tell. Fingers crossed for you though! A friend of the family just had twins - 10 weeks early!! OK, I know twins are notoriously early but even so. Wow. That would be *right now* (or rather, last week) for me and yeah, not ready.