Monday, September 15, 2008

Nap Time!

If we ever required proof that Kirk still needs a nap, we got it this weekend.

I often wonder at what age kids typically start either taking shorter naps or dispense with them altogether. Presumably they then have an earlier bedtime to make up some of the difference. But it’s always been a mystery to me when that begins. Oh I know, all kids are different. But even so there are some generalities that can typically be found.

We were all invited over to the neighbors’ house on Saturday for their son’s 5th birthday. While chatting with an alley neighbor, the mother of another 5 year old, I learned that her son still needs a nap and takes one at school everyday. That made me feel a lot better. At least I know that we’ve got some time before we have to wean Kirk off them altogether. And lord knows I love napping with him – or at least at the same time as him, depending on how squirrelly his is.

The birthday party was scheduled to start at about the time that we would normally put Kirk down. But since it was only two houses over we figured we’d just bring him home when he started to show signs of needing to go. Yet that’s the thing. Lately Kirk hasn’t shown the typical tiredness signs. He just suddenly snaps and then it’s a screaming fit of crazy insanity. And that’s exactly what happened, for all the party guests to see. He was playing as-nicely-as-can-be-expected-these-days with the other kids for a couple of hours and then as soon as we wouldn’t let him have a second piece of birthday cake, it was all over. Completely madness.

Of course his diet that day may have contributed. We won’t be winning any parenting awards. Breakfast: Coco Puffs; lunch: one bite of bun, birthday cake, ice cream; dinner: peanuts, fruit & cereal bar. Yeah, we rule.

3 comments:

superbadfriend said...

"we wouldn’t let him have a second piece of birthday cake"

I would have thrown a fit too.

ha!

FEZ BEAR said...

Don't feel guilty... or at least don't feel alone -- I think Henry is on the exact same diet. Good parenting is pretty overrated from what I understand.

Henry still takes an afternoon nap. I remember taking naps in kindergarten but I thnk it was because our teacher needed a smoke break.

belsum said...

You're no help, sbf! But then again, I suppose that's what fake aunties are for.

I'm so glad to know Henry is as nutritionally challenged as Kirk is. You're right, as always, good parenting is indeed overrated. Hee!

I can remember laying down on the carpet squares for naps during preschool and kindergarten but I can't remember actually sleeping during those times.