Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Developments

I’m pretty sure I’m feeling fetal movement now, and not just uterus stuff. It’s still pretty vague and it’s definitely early yet, but a pattern is emerging so that’s why I think it’s Child Person Mark II. Typically in the late evening is when I can feel it and then it’ll last for maybe up to an hour. I’ll have to go back over my early posts to see where I was with Kirk when I first started feeling him. I know it was early for a first timer so I guess it wouldn’t surprise me if I’m noticing it early again now.

Mr. b has gone back to school. We’re still getting used to his new schedule and it’ll change again next semester. The biggest difference for me is that I’m doing the daycare drop off and pick up now. I’ve been taking the bus for so long I need to get used to the new timing. And I won’t be able to read as much. So far Kirk’s been really good about his daddy leaving at night to go to class. In the past he has pitched a fit when Mr. b leaves for band practice but he’s been very understanding about school. I don’t know what it’ll be like when I have a new infant to also deal with in the evenings but so far Kirk and I are keeping ourselves busy. We go on walks or do laundry or yardwork and then start the nigh-nigh routine. We can’t run errands though since Mr. b has the car. That’s going to also take some advance planning to adjust.

I spanked Kirk this morning. I know everyone’s got strong feelings on spanking but frankly, it’s been a long time coming. We’ve been threatening it for several weeks now as counting to three only works sometimes and taking away his toys or blankie only works sometimes and turning off his movies only works sometimes and putting him in time out only works sometimes. He’s a little brat and I was done. I was trying to get him dressed and he was actively fighting me, stepping on his diaper so I couldn’t get it up his legs, and punching and headbutting all the while. So I swatted him on the butt. It certainly wasn’t hard but it was enough to make him pay attention and he cooperated for the rest of the getting ready and was sweet to me at daycare drop off. We’ll see how long it lasts. I should have known I’d be the first to go there. We were just discussing how spoiled he is the other day, too. Some of that is generational of course and some is that we need to step it up. When Kirk doesn’t follow the rules we have been giving him choices: you can go to your room with the door closed or you can sit at the dinner table with us. I gave him two choices this morning: we could use teamwork to get his outfit on or I could hold him against his will and do it myself. That should have been his tip-off that Mama wasn’t gonna play games. And maybe it will be next time he decides to be a jerk instead of “I wanna be good and listen”.

We’re both feeling the need to nest already. It’s not the same as the end of term nesting but it’s real nevertheless. Mr. b cleared a ton of shit out of the basement last week and while it’s all just sitting in the garage now it’s making it easier to see what exactly needs to be done for cleaning and organizing purposes. I’m also desperate for craft projects. I have ideas for everything from framing prints to knitting to embroidery to rug making but I haven’t actually started any of them. What I need to do is make a pattern for my Halloween costume and go to the fabric store. I’m not sure if the DIY impulse is pregnancy related or seasonal. I do typically get a burst of creative energy in the fall.

Kirk has a new trick up his sleeve when it comes to delaying sleep after being put to bed. The interesting thing is that he does not get out of his bed at night – or even in the morning. He’ll sit up and play with Woody and Buzz and talk to himself or shout for us but he won’t actually leave until one of us opens his door. Which has been nice because we were warned up and down that the second he switched from his crib to his big boy bed that he’d be bugging us constantly. However, with the organization trend in the house, we put a short bookcase in his room near his bed and moved his toy stove over to the other side. He dragged the plastic kitchenette back to by his bed, placing it in front of the bookshelf. So now he can reach out and haul the entire thing right next to him and get at the toys that are stored within. Scammer. Smart little bugger! I don’t really care though. He fought going to bed last night with a declaration that he wanted to “stay up all night!” I told him he was welcome to do so: in his room, with the door shut, and the lights off. He was asleep within 20 minutes.

6 comments:

FEZ BEAR said...

I've spanked Henry a couple times. So far the only thing that has pushed me over the edge is when he eye gouges or throws large household items at his little sister for getting in his face and then he acts all smug about it. Like you said, time outs and what not only work some of the time -- every now and again you just have to lay the smack down.

belsum said...

That makes me feel better. (Well, not the beating on his sister part...) I just didn't know if I should even say anything because I was afraid the Mommy Patrol would come down on me. But seriously, you gotta lay the smack down sometimes if you don't want to have a spoiled brat that is most definitely the boss of YOU!

superbadfriend said...

GAH! Since when did spanking become an issue? I just don't get it. I was spanked when I was brat and let me tell you, it made me think twice about acting up again. Don't feel badly darling. There is nothing wrong with a swat on the behind when the kid gets out of hand.

You know how I feel about the mommy patrol. I am on your side!

xoxo

belsum said...

Thanks darlin'. I got spanked as a kid, too. Not as much as my sister mind you but there was a reason for that. HA!

Anne C. said...

Definitely no recriminations on the spanking from me either. I remember getting spanked as a kid and my parole officer says I turned out fine ;).

From what I've heard the key point is to try and not do it in anger. Sure, it'll happen that way once in a while (those little bastards are aggravating, after all), but to be aware of it helps you know if it's getting out of hand or not being as productive as you need. :)

belsum said...

Yeah, not bringing anger into it is always a good idea, no matter what. The awesome thing is that just the threat of a spanking has been enough to keep him in line since that one time. Frankly he probably should have been spanked last night for drawing on the leather ottoman in pen but being sent to his room was punishment enough - he knew immediately that he was in major trouble.