Monday, May 12, 2008

Baby Talk

It’s been nearly three years. That’s how many bottles of Johnson’s baby shampoo we got as baby shower gifts. We’re about halfway through the final one, which is travel size so won’t last too much longer. I’m truly astounded at how long it took to get through it all! It’s going to be a little weird to pick out a new bottle. Should I stick with standard yellow No More Tears? Are there other tempting colors and flavors that will win me over? Maybe I’ll just let Kirk go for whatever Dora or Thomas or other branded, overpriced option is currently available.

Kirk’s actually been in a strange baby-reversion phase for a while. He’s *choosing* to behave like a baby. He’ll demand to be carried where he’d normally walk himself. Or he’ll decide to crawl. He wants to be coddled and cradled. He needs us to feed him his soup that he’s perfectly capable of messily eating himself. Brushing teeth, climbing into his crib, putting shoes on, everything has gone back to a desire for us to do it for him.

I’m not really sure what’s caused this behavioral back-slide. I hear about it happening to older siblings when their new sister or brother finally arrives. This just seems so much more out-of-the-blue. Could it really be because K has her 2 month old at daycare? That seems more likely than my sister’s guess of two new cousins since September of last year. But it does worry me a little. I hope it’s the standard "step backward before leap forward" that we noticed while he was much younger. In which case I definitely hope the leap forward is frickin’ potty training already dammit! Because what happens when he actually does have a new sibling in the house?

11 comments:

Jill said...

I think it is pretty standard. Olivia went through a similar phase around the same age. I always forget that Liv and Kirk are two years apart!

Anonymous said...

Also, unless you've forgotten to mention something, he'll probably be well on into his potty-using by the time you have a Yeoman to worry about.

Zany Mama said...

I know your post is all about regression, but I find myself more intrigued with what baby soap you will pick next...it's a bit of a dilemma, isn't it?

Lucky for us, Zane has excema so we've always been very limited in our options. (There's a part of me that is intrigued by all the new "flavors" out, though.)

steve zahn said...

I'm sorry, I don't really have anything to say about your non famous kids and lives. I'm just looking for a quiet place to hide from Jeff Goldblum.

belsum said...

It's pretty trippy that Liv is going to be 5 already!!

No, I haven't forgotten to mention anything lis. Hee! Project First Officer has not yet commenced.

My post is about whatever catches your eye, zany! I'll be sure to include a follow up detailing what exciting new products are out there. Heh.

I'm honored by your presence, steve zahn. I hope your feud with Goldblum works out. Go Zahn!

Chris Hill said...

Yes, let's hope that backslide will lead to the leap forward into potty training. Mr. B I think would really like that.

Chris Hill said...

One more thing. You WILL buy another bottle of Johnson's baby shampoo. It's the one without tears dammit! When the kid is five or so then you move onto Prell. Sheesh! Doesn't anyone raise their kids in the 70's anymore?

superbadfriend said...

PRELL? My god man, you are going to strip every strand of hair off the boy's head.

I will send you some really gentle baby product names for future consideration. I sadly have to use them instead of grown-up stuff. My tucus is too sensitive for Laurel Sodium Phosphates and things I can't even pronounce.
If you were to video Kirkie during these regressions and then play them back for him. Do you think he would be able to tell you in his own words why he is acting that way? Just curious. He is extremely intelligent for his age.

Oh and Go Zahn!

belsum said...

Oh Mr. b would, would he? Heh. Do you need an actual intro my dear?

Aww, thanks sbf. I wonder if he'd see anything psychological to viewing his regressions though? My guess is he'd laugh at how "silly" he's being.

Adoresixtyfour said...

They still make Prell?

belsum said...

Don't encourage him, 64!