Thursday, March 27, 2008

Backyardigans

At some point towards the end of the winter, maybe in February?, we started letting Kirk play outside by himself. The backyard is fenced in and we have the gates "locked" - there's a carabiner on one and an unlocked padlock on the other to prevent him from lifting the latches. He asks to go out and will put his shoes on (he can do it by himself about 20% of the time) and gets all excited for his coat and hat and mittens. He loves it when the kitties are outside with him. He and Chloe the Annoying One will actually play games, like chase each other around! He's got a stash of sticks from our fire kindling pile that he plays with - they're the Doobie Sticks - and he can just generally amuse himself for at least a half hour with whatever toys happen to be in the yard instead of the garage porch. I peek out the window every 2 or 3 minutes though! If I can't see him or hear him I poke my head out the door and call to him. I'm not particularly worried but...he's 2. And I'm still not quite used to the idea of him being out completely unsupervised.

It's fun seeing the yard get used in such a complete manner. He's got all his little spots, like next to the air conditioning unit or along the side of the garage where I excavated a long buried sidewalk last summer. It seems like such a small yard but it's his. I find myself sometimes just watching him when I meant to do a quick check. I'll be mesmerized by his play, listening to his running commentary to himself with a goofy half grin on my face.

4 comments:

FEZ BEAR said...

The only thing that can possibly keep Henry occupied for a half hour is play dough...

Doobie Sticks... HA! Henry calls 'em "beaver sticks" since we had a rascally beaver take out a few trees a while back.

belsum said...

Well, you know, Mr. b is obsessed with "smooth" music, of the type referenced in the Yacht Rock vids. So the Doobie Brothers are well known to Kirk. Heck, he refers to Ronald McDonald as Michael McDonald!

I wish he'd play by himself with play-doh though. He just demands that I make him shapes with the moulds, ordering various colors, and then tears them apart. And then "vacuums" up his mess with the popper. *sigh*

Anne C. said...

Kirk is so cute. :)

I think developing that ability to play alone and (relatively) unsupervised is critical for independent development. Sure, there's a small amount of risk involved, but life is full of risks (unless you are Bubble Boy). Learning and risk taking are linked.

You are a great Mom, bel!

belsum said...

Awww, thanks Ana. You're always such a good cheerleader!

Learning to play unsupervised is also critical to Mama's sanity!