Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Wit's End

This latest schizophrenic phase of Kirk’s really sucks ass.

Kirk spends all his time of late pushing boundaries. He goes into my bedside table and steals my necklaces even after I take them away and point out he has his own “noodles”. He says “No” without even thinking about what his actual response might be. “Honey, do you want juice or milk?” “No!” He demands one thing but tries get around the cause and effect – he’s done with his bath but doesn’t want to be dried off.

He’s also starting to play favorites. Or maybe it just seems that way since Mommy’s left out in the cold? I remember when he was a little baby and seemed to occasionally favor me over his father and Mr. b would feel sad. People always told us that babies prefer their mom in their first year and their dad in their second. So far that definitely seems to be true.

Kirk is ignoring any commands that I give. Mr. b claims that he’s ignored, too, but at least Kirk looks when he hears his daddy call his name. Yesterday morning I was across the living room, getting Kirk’s coat before we left for daycare. I saw Kirk on the floor with the container I had filled with soup for my lunch. And he was tugging on the lid. And I yelled “No! No! No! No!” as I raced across the floor. But he didn’t listen. And he deliberately spilled the soup all over the floor. I grounded him from pans for after daycare but it’s not like he noticed since we went to the park after eating dinner.

Now, the loss of the soup definitely upset me. I mean, it was really kickass soup! But there was still some left in the refrigerator. Yet what if he was doing something that could have hurt him? What if he had figured out how to open the childproof lock on the drawer with the chef’s knife? Or if he was reaching for the flames on the stove? His addiction to pans has already led him to pull a stool up to the counter to try to grab dirty pans sitting next to the sink, waiting to be washed. There’s no reason why he wouldn’t try to grab one actually filled with hot oil or boiling water. I’ve only used the back burners for well over a year but how long will that be good enough?

As much as it may seem like it when he’s so defiant to me specifically, I have to remind myself that it’s not like he actually hates me or anything. But his sweetness seems to remain confined to when he’s tired. He cuddled with me last night before I put him to bed. He snuggled a little bit when he got up this morning. The inconsistency is just so frustrating!

All last week he was upset about being left at daycare. Previously he would start shouting K’s name as soon as we’d turn the corner onto her street. He’d wave bye-bye to us after getting his coat and shoes off and we’d have to steal hugs and kisses before leaving. But last week he would freak out and scream and yell and cry and just generally get angry and upset about us going to work. Today? He was back to not caring. Maybe the new baby starting today helped. He’s been really into babies lately.

6 comments:

Anne C. said...

And it's posts like that one that are the antidote to the cute baby pictures. It must feel impossible. Can you imagine what it would be like for a single parent?

Anonymous said...

Well, obviously your child is rotten to the core and you are a horrible parent.

Or, you know, he's a bright kid who is realizing that he's an individual. This sounds very, very frustrating and also perfectly normal.

*Hugs*

FEZ BEAR said...

Henry is pulling some of the same crud with us. He's all over the board right now. I think he is starting to realize he can defy us and mess with us. This could be the start of the terrible two's? PS - The "kickass soup" line cracked me up for some reason. We recently had a batch of ham and bean soup that was COMPLETELY off the hook.

Zany Mama said...

I heard once that toddlers are "horrible little people".

It seemed harsh at the time, but there are days. Oh yes, there are days.

belsum said...

I can't imagine, Ana. But I'm happy to provide some truth in advertising for you!

Yep, lis, frustrating and normal. Sigh.

My soup was bean and ham, too, fez bear! Ah, the Easter ham bone. Sorry to hear you're dealing with the same thing with Henry.

Oh zany, you must chuckle when you see posts like this and think "Just you wait!"

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is the beginning of the "terrible twos". I noticed that both of my kids started to become tiny jerks around the 18-20 month mark. they usually have it perfected by the time the 2nd birthday rolls around. Milo is a jerk at the 3rd grade level and he isn't even 3 yet!
That is why they are so cute. Otherwise, you would cosider selling them on Ebay.